Please help determine winch capacity?

rubberfish

Reaction score

Uh NOPE not overkill till I have 15-20K single line pull then snatch that to 30-40K pull gotta realize that if I put on 46" tall tires...mud will suck me down hard core....thus need to be able to self recover cause I wont afford those $500+ dollar recovery from BFwrecker!
You may just need that big wrecker. If you're
that stuck, what're you going to pull off of? :rotflmao :rotflmao
I've seen this gong show before at Stave Lake
in the mud holes. You can have a million pound winch
and it won't do you one bit of good when you're 500ft
from nowhere. Been there, done that. All I ended up
with is all of my buddies trucks dragged up to me and
them stuck in a nice half circle around the front of me. :rotflmao
Yes there are tricks of the trade like sharpened axles
hammered into the ground or burying your spare tire
to use as an anchor. Neither of which work well in mud.

7.3shrk

If you are that stuck, what about the other stuff spinning under the truck - the PTO shifting mechanism, the PTO shaft driving the chain - and the gears - all of which are not protected, and could get damaged pretty easily - why not an electric one or even better a hydraulically powered one so you have the PTO hooked up to a pump?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also got to remember that if the military rated it for only 7500 , it's built to handle at least twice that. They always rate their equipment WAY lower than what it is actually built for because they know it's going to get severely overloaded in the field. One of the brighter habits they've picked up over the years.

This was my thinking.....the double or nothing rule of military standards.....

It's gotta be able to meet double the rating or notta chance they'll use it...

Makes the winch more attractive. Even the Braden guy said the MILITARY rated it at 7500.......I wonder if they'll go out on a limb and suggest what it can really do outside of thatLOL

Any winch that can be used with 1/2 line has to be able to handle more than 7500 lbs really now come one...what the purpose of using 1/2 cable if you can't pull that type of load?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are that stuck, what about the other stuff spinning under the truck - the PTO shifting mechanism, the PTO shaft driving the chain - and the gears - all of which are not protected, and could get damaged pretty easily - why not an electric one or even better a hydraulically powered one so you have the PTO hooked up to a pump?

Uh it clearly states I am considering Hydraulic drive .....:rotflmao in the original post of the thread.....which is exactly what I plan....no gears...no shafts...just nice hydraulic lines.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may just need that big wrecker. If you're
that stuck, what're you going to pull off of? :rotflmao :rotflmao
I've seen this gong show before at Stave Lake
in the mud holes. You can have a million pound winch
and it won't do you one bit of good when you're 500ft
from nowhere. Been there, done that. All I ended up
with is all of my buddies trucks dragged up to me and
them stuck in a nice half circle around the front of me. :rotflmao
Yes there are tricks of the trade like sharpened axles
hammered into the ground or burying your spare tire
to use as an anchor. Neither of which work well in mud.

Braden claims
I would expect typical rope diameters to be
between 3/8" and 1/2" diameter. The maximum cable storage capacity for
each size is as follows:
3/8" 373'
7/16" 273'
1/2" 195'

Thatu sure is a lot of cable.....I know about the buried spare and axle and so forth....better to bury a couple trucks to anchor to...then pull them out once your out..Or pack nuff gear to get out plain n simple.....

7.3shrk

Oh yeah there it is. By the way, there is a guy down here selling a couple of steer axles - looks like they are out of a big Ford service truck, Rockwells I believe, looks 2 1/2 ton or bigger, but not the top loader style from the M-35's. He is asking 650 or trade for 4x4 stuff. SF Bay area craigslist if interested.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You need to go watch this ( crank the sound up ) and see what some of your fellow Canadians have on the subject of getting stuck :rotflmao

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah there it is. By the way, there is a guy down here selling a couple of steer axles - looks like they are out of a big Ford service truck, Rockwells I believe, looks 2 1/2 ton or bigger, but not the top loader style from the M-35's. He is asking 650 or trade for 4x4 stuff. SF Bay area craigslist if interested.

Get me a link please.... though shipping to WA may be a tad more n I wanna spend.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, leave it to the rednecks of the prairies to write a song like that....Down east we prefer this.:rotflmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkaa3I_tCZg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs2VTOkLzd0

Stompin Tom Connor's.....A maritime legend.....Our version if Johnny Cash, has a song about just about everything.;Sweet....Still waiting on my M12000 to be taken off the Jeep....It's like xmas is coming...LOL
Ya hard to beat that Eastern sound....and Stompin's got it down good.

I am waiting to see the the guy will drop that price some...maybe get the winch for 175 or there bouts. Not like I need a 3rd winch...but eh...then Val can have the Ramsey RE 8000 for her truck:love:

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
so 15000lbs with a snatch block. The M12000 winch I'm getting has a 3/8" cable, 125ft long.....200ft of 9/16" is big stuff....More than overkill for your Bronco...LOL

i would hate to be the guy pulling the 9/16" wire rope out to hook up, that would be a ball buster

Ray

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would hate to be the guy pulling the 9/16" wire rope out to hook up, that would be a ball buster

Ray

You know yer right.....I recall setting chokers a few times when I was really young...Man that sucked large...

That's why I would take and replace the wire rope with synthetic...Stronger, Saver, and yes Lighter:D