Pivot Bushing

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to tear into my d50 front axle to replace my ball joints, axle u-joints, and shocks. I really do not have any interest in doing a "full rebuild" as this truck doesn't see much if any heavy work. However, in just looking at the axle, the only thing I see to really do other than the axle u-joints and ball joints is the pivot bushings for both beams. Should I look at replacing these bushings while I've got the axle shafts out? How would I know if they were bad? I'll probably get an alignment after this work is done so I don't to align a bad bushing but I also don't want to a bunch of extra work for something that may not be bad or make that much of a difference. Thanks in advance.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally if you have never changed then "I" would change them. You're going to be right there anyway and now is the best time to do it.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the only thing left to change? Other than leaf spring bushings but I’m not touching those right now

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you aren't redoing the carrier bearings and stuff then that's almost all. I would at least inspect the wheel bearings and replace them if needed. Don't forget the wheel seals. If there's anything else I'm sure someone else will chime in.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm hoping to not tear into the front differential. I know the stub shaft is internally retained but I believe I can change that u joint out with the stub shaft in place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online