PICS/VID Added 2 trucks to the herd. Thinking 7.8 in CrewCab.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
I picked up this L8000 Turbo/Intercooled/DI 7.8 diesel 6 speed. It has recent new turbo center section. I was thinking how cool it would be in an F350. The next day I picked up this 1986 F350 4x4 460 c6 d60 truck. :sly

I am thinking of reshaping my firewall and trans tunnel, and shoehorning the 7.8/6 speed as low in the f350 chassis as it will go. The engine is tall and long. It will not intrude on floor space too bad because it is narrow and the section of sheet metal I chop out will be above the tunnel on the firewall and the tunnel itself.

The crossmember under the engine will have to go. I will put the cossmember with the front motor mount from the L8000 in the F350, right behind the core support. The IC hopefully will go behind the grill, with the rad and ac condenser behind the cab.

I can sell the good 460, c6 and transfer case and use the money to buy a divorced 205 and brownie box.

The six speed, into a 205, into a brownie style o/d, and then to the 3.55 diff should be just the ticket for a highway hauler. :thumbsup:

Or am I nuts? :dunno

You must be registered for see images attach

VID of 7.8 running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgr-qOFQ7z0

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youre nuts insane to try it so just haul them up to my place and ill dispose of them in a eco friendly way lets call it recycling

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
how heavy is a 7.8 motor?

I would not drop it your foot.

It is probably 1200lbs.

I am sick of slowing down on the hills with my n/a 6.9 5 speed truck.

I bought both these rigs to scrap but the F350 is just too nice to give up. But if I keep it, it has to be a diesel.

I can scrap the L8000 as soon as I get that engine and trans out. :D

It seems like a win all around but I have to cowboy up and start thrashing on it.

It seems do-able and if I do not like the engine down the road, I think a DT466 would bolt up fairly easily in its place. But I have been driving this 8000 around a bit and it is a beast, plus this stuff is all but free.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...yer door chime works so it would seem better n yer tach ;Poke I was thinking...

Scrap the L8000 body, drop yer CC body onto that frame and use yer 1 ton diffs under it? Just thinking outloud in print here......

How bout sending me those two parabolic mirrors on the front of the L8000? Might be useful for me...hint hint nudge nudge wink wink

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Sold the tow truck, got the land. :sly

I am not following what you mean about mileage. The L8000 did around 15 when the guy used it everyday. It will only do better in the "little truck".

I cannot be the first person to shove a 7.8 in an F350.

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Same mileage if its on a f350 frame or the frame is on now?, seams easier to swap the body rather than the frame

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
It should do better mileage-wise in the F350 frame. The F350 is way lighter. I am hoping to get some double overdrive and get the rpm to less than 1500 at 75 mph. I think this motor has the low end torque to pull hard at 1500.

If I had an IDIT and a zf I would definitely use it, but all I have lying around is this 7.8, and what I think is an Eaton 6 gear.

I think it is Midnight rider who posted his RPM at 80 or so with an aux o/d box but I cant find that post.

I like my F250 with the 6.9 but it needs alot of work and money. I have the new IP but I need 8 injectors, whole turbo set up, including a turbo, plus the firewall is cracked and the clutch and brake bracket shattered. :puke:

This swap will be alot of work but not alot of money and could end up being a pretty useful rig.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love your idea....but thats a 1200lb motor....400 lb trans, 100lb tc and 100 lb brownie.....thats alot of drivetrain weight for that 1 ton frame....? But maybe it wont be....either way DOOOO IIIITTTTT!!!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
..... plus the firewall is cracked and the clutch and brake bracket shattered. :puke:

This swap will be alot of work but not alot of money and could end up being a pretty useful rig.

I uh....could quite easily maybe if your interested:dunno, send a clutch/brake pedal setup for those two mirrors?:sly:sly