Pics of 60's med duty trucks?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Here's what I was thinking, but have it a crew cab...and a 65-69. I don't really like the 61-64 grilles. If there was a Cornbinder built tlike this, then that would be cool too.

Attachments

• 61F600.jpg
    61F600.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 8

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevr, I've got just the truck for ya !

It's an IH1600 or 1700 Crew-Cab, either late 60's or early 70's, and in pretty good shape. Hardly any rust.....cab/chassis right now....and it's cheap. $500.

If I'm recalling right, it's got a 345 in it, and it runs sweet; 5+2 I think.

Freight-train; good story about the hood!

Hey, I've got -your- truck too! :D

It's a '63 longnose KW in GREAT condition. You can see all the pics and details here:

http://www.oregonstone.com

...and click on the "63 Kenworth" link.

If you're serious, I will work with you seriously on the price. I want to get it sold. Open to trade too, for a nice medium-duty cab/chassis, or other stuff.

Hey, what site was that Mack B42 listing on ??

Richard

Ggg

Reaction score
Freightrain said:
Back when I had my binder, I had never seen a 1210 series before, only 100/200/ etc. I'm not sure what it was rated for, but I would definitely classify it as a "TRUCK"!

FWIW, it was a township truck originally, I got it at auction when they were cleaning up. Paid $150 for it and needed a clutch. Driving it home I forgot the hood latch didn't work well AND the inner fenders were gone(so no hinges)...coming down a slight hill the hood decided to exit stage UP!!!. Woosh, up, it was gone! Luckily I was only going 30-35 mph, and buddy was following me. The RR brake worked too good and locked up as I tried to slow down. I left a 200 ft black mark down that hill and the hood landed safely leaning up against a tree in a yard :idiot:

...........to be 16 again............. :angel:

This story is too weird!
When I was 16 or 17 I bought a 1970 1200 or was it a 1400 series IH (I can't remember) crew cab,4x4, 345/4 with a dump hoist under the bed from the county auction. It was Caution orange in color, with one real large amber Mars beacon on the roof. You had to lift the bed to fill it up with gas. It had a 13" or 14" clutch in it. Twin stick transfer case. Split ring rims on it. Two stage rear springs with about 30 leafs total, the fronf springs had 6 or 8 leafs each, both diffs made Dana 70's look tiny. real low gears like 4.88 or 5.13's 45-50 mph was all she would do.The tie rod was as thick as my wrist. I believe it was a 1.5 ton truck, but boy was it a truck in every sense of the word ;Sweet .

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Mine was this yellow/green flourescent color..........REAL glow in the dark!
I spray bombed it primer red so it was not so hideous. At 16, the money was not there to do much. Mine was a std cab, 4x2, 8ft bed. What a learning experience that truck was cookoo .

My friend who's dad had the Travel All's, also had a couple pickups. One was a 4x4, 392/4 spd, stepside. Actually pretty nice piece(if you could afford to feed it ;p )

Dozer, I checked your KW out before. Neat piece, the only problem is I have no place to keep another truck. My township is riding my case over my B -cuss . I have to chop up my garage to fit it in this spring(no outside parking of "semi trucks" :eek: ). A "large car" would not fit at all in my garage so for the time being I'm keep'n with just the B.

Last edited:

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ggg said:
This story is too weird!
When I was 16 or 17 I bought a 1970 1200 or was it a 1400 series IH (I can't remember) crew cab,4x4, 345/4 with a dump hoist under the bed from the county auction. It was Caution orange in color, with one real large amber Mars beacon on the roof. You had to lift the bed to fill it up with gas. It had a 13" or 14" clutch in it. Twin stick transfer case. Split ring rims on it. Two stage rear springs with about 30 leafs total, the fronf springs had 6 or 8 leafs each, both diffs made Dana 70's look tiny. real low gears like 4.88 or 5.13's 45-50 mph was all she would do.The tie rod was as thick as my wrist. I believe it was a 1.5 ton truck, but boy was it a truck in every sense of the word ;Sweet .

My father used to have a IH 1510. It was about the same as today's Ford F-550 but much more crude.

I think it had a Dana70 front and some kind of rear borrowed from a Loadstar in the rear. The thing I can remember the most is that it was very tough and the speedometer needle would bounce up and down between 30-50 mph, so you could never tell how fast you were going LOL.

IH is returning to the smaller truck market from what I'm reading. We may have another choice in trucks soon! :)

Ggg

Reaction score
I think if IH comes back into the light truck market they will have some big shoes to fill as far as durability is concerned. Style, well we all have a soft spot for ugly trucks. Economy, I do not think they could have done worse if they had tried back in the 70's.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, IH trucks always struck me as quite durable. The ones I've owned are very durable. I think a lot of their suspensions & drivetrains were overbuilt, if anything.

Maybe you mean the way they used to rust back in the 70's? LOL

I think 2 sided galvanized steel has solved that issue.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Yep, I used to own a '77 Scout SS, and it had the rust. I more miss the durability and beefyness of the whole thing. Sometimes I wish I had it instead of this Dodge :( .

It's not an ugly truck if the driver still likes it. :draw

Ggg

Reaction score
That is exactly what I was saying. They have set the bar very high as far as durability goes, thus big shoes to fill. Since they stopped making trucks there has been nothing even close to being as durable in the light truck market. Yeah my IH had some serious cancer issues too.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
My 1210...........if it were NOT for the passenger side fuel tank on the floor....it would have NO floor.......LOL. Like mentioned, it had no inner fenders/hood hinges (just like most 70's Ford trucks too). But, like I always told people...it was a "TRUCK" in every sense of the word.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If IH is smart, they'll attack the 4500/5500 market first with a Lo-Pro 4x4 DT466 with about 26,000 GVW. That'll wipe out the 4500/5500 in quick order. What would really be great is if the could get airbrakes on them without a CDL.

Then move to the smaller stuff like one tonners.

dozer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
huh....I took the comment to mean -fuel economy-. -cuss

My '73 Loadstar 1600 gets about 5mpg....empty! LOL

Not that the IH's were any worse than a jimmy with a 366 or whatever...

I think of the 450/550 as more in the NPR class...i.e. 12-15K gvw etc..

It's have to be a loooong nose pickup cab to take a 466 ! But oh man, what a light-truck that'd be... ;Sweet

Air brakes without CDL: I -just- went through this....and you CAN run air-brakes legally without a CDL; as long as the mfg-rated gvw of the truck is under 26,001.

I'm about to get a more modern, and diesel, cab/chassis to move the knuckleboom to, from the 1600. And I wanted air-brakes. So I go down to DMV and tell them I want to take the air-brake endorsement test; to get the endorsement on my class-C. She tells me that no endorsement is needed as long as I'm under 26K, it doesn't matter what kind of brakes I have.

But my friend Fred told me he was harassed at the POE coming back into Oregon from Kali. Red-tagged even. And several others told me they too were harassed by DOT or staties. So I'm worried...thinking I'll be stuck with juice brakes.

But my friend Mike suggested I call up to Salem ('crat-central for Oregon), and talk to the Motor Carrier Transport Dept and get the straight scoop.

So I did, and talked to the head of enforcement. He confirmed what the DMV gal said. I told him that his field people had various different understandings that weren't always in accord with the law as he stated it.

And I said I'd like a letter from him making it clear that air-brakes ARE legal without CDL if under 26K; so that I'll have something to clear my way...

And he sent it! Just arrived, and states the matter unequivocally.

On the phone, he also told me that it's a -federal- law....so it should be good in any state. So you might want to call your local DOT chief and ask for such a letter, and put a copy of it in the glovebox...

Richard

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
It's a little newer than your spec's, but the guy I bend exhaust for has a 76 Binder 4x4, for sale. Right now, it's got a 345, 5-speed, and the front winch is functional. I measured how much the rear axle could be slid back, but I forgot. I think it was around 36".

http://www.tandjauto.com/sales.htm

BTW, anyone looking for an 80 Dodge W-400 fire wagon? He's got one of those, too.

That flatbed in the last pic, is the one that was on the Crossbreed, before I got it. It's stout as hell, and has a heavy duty hitch with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online