Pick up Laws???

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the basics are- carry a smaller quantity placed discreetly not to attract attention. I think a truck cap might go a long way to avoid random questions or being noticed.

In a nutshell, that's pretty much it. Quantity depends on the user and what you're comfortable with, I'll hopefully have a 600 gallon pickup in a couple months and am comfortable knowing that I'm within the law. For that load, I'll have two totes on an open trailer with tarps around them and doubt I'll get a second look.

Last edited:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we can agree on one thing. both of us know our local and federal laws pertaining to transport of this stuff. my assertion to anyone looking to break the law is best to understand what you're breaking so you know how for to push it.

Agreed about knowing the local and federal laws, hopefully none of us are ever on the losing end of a legal "test" case. I'll end by saying that anyone looking to move waste oil around for DIY use, make sure you know the law so that DOT/police/whoever can't bully you into thinking that you're doing something wrong or breaking the law. If you're commercial, the guidelines are pretty clear but for us private guys, we have to know our stuff AND be prepared to back it up lest we allow a precedent to be set in the wrong direction.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For you all that are burning WMO... do you find calling small mechanic / tranny shops to be a good way to set up a pick up route? if not what else works to get a steady supply?

Also, is it free when you get a source, or are you paying a price for the right to haul it off?

I am currently seeing, in my area, people advertising to pay for used WVO to burn in veggie cars. Right now I see ads for $1 per gallon, so the supply must be quite low. It used to be FREE!

I've had the best luck by looking in the want ads for people that want to get rid of it. Every now and then you'll get lucky and find someone that does family/friends oil changes and has a couple drums stored up. Calling around definitely won't hurt but in my area, most of the local shops burn it themselves in the winter or already have a friend that they give it too. I don't want to discourage you though, go for it!

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you do if you have two plastic totes full of WMO and you are involved in an accident that results in 550 gallons of oil on the freeway. Are you going to tell me that the powers that be are just going to say no problem because you are a DIYer? I think not.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you do if you have two plastic totes full of WMO and you are involved in an accident that results in 550 gallons of oil on the freeway. Are you going to tell me that the powers that be are just going to say no problem because you are a DIYer? I think not.

I'll assume this question was directed towards me since I'm the one that mentioned carrying several hundred gallons. As for the powers that be, my auto insurance covers pollution and fuel spill liability (including oil) so when the crews are done cleaning the road and the accident is being sorted out, I'll present my insurance and yes, they'll say "no problem." My ins company's exact response was, "As long as you're legally operating the vehicle and not in a commercial capacity, we'll cover the clean-up costs."

A relative of mine went through this not too long ago when their semi overturned and spilled 400+ gallons of diesel fuel on the roadway. The FD came out and sprayed foam, used an absorbent, and 4 hours later, opened the highway back up. His insurance company initially paid the cleaning bill (not all but a significant chunk) but when the investigation showed the other driver was at fault, my relatives ins company recouped the cost from the other party's insurance company.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying don't do it. I just think you should have a better containment system. Don't be so sure that your insurance will say no problem, here's $25k for cleaning up that nasty oil that spilled into the waterway. That's not how they stay in business. They will gladly take your money but will fight like hell to not give up any of their money.

I've had dozens of those totes before. Mainly used to haul water. I am also collecting fuel tanks for my set up. In my opinion, it is better to do whatever you can up front to make sure none of that oil escapes. My 1 1/2 cents.

Last edited:

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO, what is a good mixture to make after filtering? maybe 70% oil /30% diesel ???

I'm a fan of W83 which is 83% oil and 17% RUG. The only time I add diesel is if my mixture isn't quite right and RUG won't correct the smoking. Now that my DP Tuner chip has been ordered, hopefully that won't be the case anymore.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Any one here ever use this???

http://www.bluegrassfuel.net

I almost bought one of those instead of my first PABiodiesel Centrifuge setup. Thing is, it's more money than a decked out Centrifuge "kit" and uses a media which has to be replaced, whereas the centrifuge just needs wiped out and good forever (or a very long time I should say) In the end I just couldn't make money sense of that design.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost bought one of those instead of my first PABiodiesel Centrifuge setup. Thing is, it's more money than a decked out Centrifuge "kit" and uses a media which has to be replaced, whereas the centrifuge just needs wiped out and good forever (or a very long time I should say) In the end I just couldn't make money sense of that design.

Do you ever have reason to worry about Acids & such getting thru the centrifuge?
I spoke to the man at blue grass fuel. Of course he was all about his system, saying it will remove battery acid & other harmful chemicals that hurt engines. Non solids that a centrifuge will not catch. I can only say it has me thinking strongly about other things mechanics dump in collection barrels. I worked in a Round house shop for a long time. I both saw and did the same as everybody else dumping it all in the oil drum for disposal. Never crossed my mind back then what that could cause. Now I know better. That does not teach every one else too.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you ever have reason to worry about Acids & such getting thru the centrifuge?
I spoke to the man at blue grass fuel. Of course he was all about his system, saying it will remove battery acid & other harmful chemicals that hurt engines. Non solids that a centrifuge will not catch. I can only say it has me thinking strongly about other things mechanics dump in collection barrels. I worked in a Round house shop for a long time. I both saw and did the same as everybody else dumping it all in the oil drum for disposal. Never crossed my mind back then what that could cause. Now I know better. That does not teach every one else too.

His system hasn't gotten any good reviews that I found. I looked at the website, but *** unimpressed.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've never thought about that before since during the course of my time in a mechanics shop, I never would've thought to dump battery acid into the oil collection barrel...it just doesn't seem like an easy thing to do (holding an acidic battery, and dumping the contents into the oil, rather than just chucking the whole battery out back?).

That said, I'd think that if something bad was going to happen from the mix of battery acid and oil, it would happen while it was in the barrel and wouldn't spontaneously reanimate (not the right word but you get what I mean) once you centrifuged it. BUT, saying it does get through the centrifuge and doesn't stick to the centrifuge wall, I'm still not too worried about it as long as it's less than 2 microns since it'll either burn up in the cylinder or won't burn up and get pushed out the exhaust as soot.

Over the course of my WMO career I'm sure I've burned at least a couple gallons of stuff that I wasn't sure what it was and so far, no ill effects.

Finally, if the Batt acid won't eat through his filter, my guess is that's because it's inert when it's mixed in with a bunch of oil.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never thought about that before since during the course of my time in a mechanics shop, I never would've thought to dump battery acid into the oil collection barrel...it just doesn't seem like an easy thing to do (holding an acidic battery, and dumping the contents into the oil, rather than just chucking the whole battery out back?).

That said, I'd think that if something bad was going to happen from the mix of battery acid and oil, it would happen while it was in the barrel and wouldn't spontaneously reanimate (not the right word but you get what I mean) once you centrifuged it. BUT, saying it does get through the centrifuge and doesn't stick to the centrifuge wall, I'm still not too worried about it as long as it's less than 2 microns since it'll either burn up in the cylinder or won't burn up and get pushed out the exhaust as soot.

Over the course of my WMO career I'm sure I've burned at least a couple gallons of stuff that I wasn't sure what it was and so far, no ill effects.

Finally, if the Batt acid won't eat through his filter, my guess is that's because it's inert when it's mixed in with a bunch of oil.

I guess since you are doing so well with your set up I must agree. After all its working for you!
I dont know which route I will end up filtering the WMO? On the brighter side I have arranged 690 gallons of WMO!!! And 2 large totes and some barrels to store it.

wmoguy

Reaction score

3000+ gallons of WMO, 45k miles. Nope not worried about the acids.

And the oil I collect is the most hodge podge nasty oil you can think of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online