Pick up Laws???

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the Laws regarding picking up waste oil from auto shops? Do I need some type of recycler license?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question I have is.... Does anyone here have the Black Diesel system. I see most using systems like PA Bio diesel.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the Laws regarding picking up waste oil from auto shops? Do I need some type of recycler license?

I just went through a situation over the weekend where my trailer was erroneously towed from the hotel I was staying at after I unhooked it from the truck (I didn't want to pull it all over town). Unsure of what was in my tote (I had already collected 80 gallons), the tow driver alerted the authorities which included the local PD, State police, Health Department, Fire Department (I was told by hotel staff that they brought out the fire engine), and the EPA. After a half day of them passing the buck, the Health Department took lead and coordinated with the EPA and State police. The EPA said it wasn't hazardous and then the State police gave the final say that I was good to go since I was a private user, wasn't doing it commercially, and my load was secure on the trailer and not unsafe.

All that being said, I will use my enclosed trailer from now on whenever possible. Even though I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't need prying eyes to alert the authorities and get everyone spun up over a non-issue. If it is not possible to use my enclosed trailer, I will tarp my totes AND make sure they're labeled as Non-Hazardous motor oil.

Now, if you're doing this commercially, you have an entirely different set of rules to adhere too. In all cases, you oughta Google Indiana waste oil laws and see if there's something specific to your state that isn't to mine.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about your state but I'm pretty sure CA has rules about the quantity you are hauling before they require a hazmat endorsement. I'm surprised they let you skate on the 80 gallons.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about your state but I'm pretty sure CA has rules about the quantity you are hauling before they require a hazmat endorsement. I'm surprised they let you skate on the 80 gallons.

When they added it all up, I actually had about 115 gallons between the tote, my aux tank, and a few loose 5 gal totes. CA has different rules than the rest of us but for arguments sake, I see pickup trucks all the time with 100 gallon auxillary tanks in the bed that aren't running an endorsement.

And from what the EPA and State Police read to me, waste motor oil isn't a hazmat if you haven't added RUG or other stuff to it. Here's a link from some random site, I'm not sure of their credentials but they also say motor oil isn't a hazmat.

http://www.bnl.gov/esh/shsd/programs/program_area_hazmat_transportation_faq.asp

Q: If a material turns out to be “non-hazdous” as per DOT, how do I transport it?

A: If a material does not meet the definition of a “hazardous material” as per Department of Transportation in 49 Code of Federal Regulations part 172.101 hazmat table or in 49 CFR 173.115-156 , there are no restrictions as to the way that you transport it. However, just because a material is not considered hazardous by DOT doesn't mean that it can't be harmful to people or the environment. Common sense must be used to assure that the material is properly packaged and handled to prevent injuries/spills. For example: Motor oil is not considered hazardous under DOT, however if motor oil was spilled on site we are obligated to report it and clean it up as per state and local regulations.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you're hauling more than 275gallons of used motor oil, you fall under DOT rules for all 50 states.
stay under that and you're good. keep it out of sight and you're even better :D
be smart. have a large sack of asorbent in the truck with broom, shovel and bucket.
if you look and act prepared to handle whatever mess you make, they tend to let you go without playing 20 questions.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good Info... Thanks this will help me a lot.

So, what about the centrifuge vs. Conventional Filter for cleaning it to use?

I have no filtration method right now, but if I did I have some small oil sources to start with. right now its hard to justify the upfront cost of centrifuge, but its not worth tearing up my vehicle to save a few bucks to start out with the cheaper conventional filter setup I saw, like the small one at Black Diesel- oiltofuel.com.
I only have a limited start up supply so I dont want to start by spending big $$ just to see if I can develop a real good steady supply for all my needs. Is there a safe way to start small & cheap with out damaging my car & truck, then grow into burning WMO as my supply gets bigger?

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good Info... Thanks this will help me a lot.

So, what about the centrifuge vs. Conventional Filter for cleaning it to use?

I have no filtration method right now, but if I did I have some small oil sources to start with. right now its hard to justify the upfront cost of centrifuge, but its not worth tearing up my vehicle to save a few bucks to start out with the cheaper conventional filter setup I saw, like the small one at Black Diesel- oiltofuel.com.
I only have a limited start up supply so I dont want to start by spending big $$ just to see if I can develop a real good steady supply for all my needs. Is there a safe way to start small & cheap with out damaging my car & truck, then grow into burning WMO as my supply gets bigger?

If you think you're going to stay with WMO, I would definitely get a centrifuge. It'll quickly pay for itself and it'll get the oil cleaner than just filters. If this is just a 50 gallon limited run, the filters will get it clean enough that your stock fuel filter oughta catch anything that slips by.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess the same centrifuge that cleans WMO also cleans WVO. So all that matters is sticking to a waste oil. Right now its just a lot to spend for me, having looked at PA Biodiesel and Diesel craft pricing. If I could do it I would get the Diesel Craft system.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I find oil in limited quantities 15-50 gallons at a time. because I dont have any filtration I have not persued a steady supply. I hate that I am passing this up, but if my supplies never improved it would be a waste to spend $1000+ for a centrifuge system.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1000+ is way too much, you can go the PA Biodiesel route and spend $500 to include the centrifuge and pump. If you can source your own pump, you can save quite a bit of money. Barrels are usually free on Craigslist and hoses aren't too pricey. For $600, you could be set up and ready to go.

At $600, you're only looking at ~150 gallons before you hit your break even point.

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're hauling more than 275gallons of used motor oil, you fall under DOT rules for all 50 states.
be smart. have a large sack of asorbent in the truck with broom, shovel and bucket.
if you look and act prepared to handle whatever mess you make, they tend to let you go without playing 20 questions.

Where did you find the 275 gallon rule? I've been looking all morning and I can't find any hard facts. The DOT site specifically said that if you're private and non-commercial, you're exempt from their regulations. At the same time, I saw another reference on their site to private motor vehicles? There's tons of info all over the net but I haven't found anything definitive yet.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now I find oil in limited quantities 15-50 gallons at a time. because I dont have any filtration I have not persued a steady supply. I hate that I am passing this up, but if my supplies never improved it would be a waste to spend $1000+ for a centrifuge system.

If you have time and want to you can build your own motor driven open bowl centrifuge for $500 - $600, depending on where you get your motor. Then you don't have to worry about a high pressure pump.

Here is the writeup I did on TDS on mine:

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f22/my-shop-built-open-bowl-centrifuge-305304/

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire Department (I was told by hotel staff that they brought out the fire engine)

They call the FD because they have no idea to start with what kind of chemical they are dealing with. The FD brings their engine because it carries all their tools, etc. (at least thats where we carry ours)

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Where did you find the 275 gallon rule? I've been looking all morning and I can't find any hard facts. The DOT site specifically said that if you're private and non-commercial, you're exempt from their regulations. At the same time, I saw another reference on their site to private motor vehicles? There's tons of info all over the net but I haven't found anything definitive yet.

DOT Regs require HazMat placards on loads of oil more then 1001 gallons.

We don't need a license to pick up, but the garage that is disposing the oil has to prove it was disposed of properly. Not that I care ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online