Performance

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, you said hated DPS so thought you meant him, never really said products. And some people have great results. Several people have the pump and it seems to be ok. Injectors seem to be a hit and miss..literally haha

NMB2

Dunce
Reaction score
well regardless of peoples feelings about his spray pattern, I was told on here my truck would run like crap with a shaky idle, smoke at idle, surging, ect. I just got done driving the truck about 140 miles round trip and all I can say is wow. This thing has WAY more power than my last turbo IDI which was a 93 7.3.

I setup everything exactly how Ken told me to and it seems to be working great... It starts up very easily, very smooth, slight bit of smoke when its cold but it cleans up quick. I didnt experience any surging, or anything that seemed wrong. It boosts my turbo pretty much instantly, Fuel mileage is hard to say but I'm definitely getting close to 20mpg.

I will try to get some videos up before I leave for the field on friday, but no promises... After I get out though, videos will be soon to follow for sure.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
ill be getting to work on my project soon. found a deal for a 94 7.3 turbo pulled for $100. turbo is junk but ill be getting a a3k anyways. like i said before, its gonna take time, but itll happen. however, im gonna stick with a 7.3 and not bother with getting a 6.9 to put 7.3 valves / rocker arms in. i dont see enough benefits to going through all that work. ill keep yall updated

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
well buying another engine is lol what exactly are the benifits of putting 7.3 turbo valves and 7.3 rocker arms in a 6.9 instead of just using a 7.3 turbo? just to get around cavitation?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes and thats a huge push for me. If a 7.3 cavitates you have to sleeve it and it gets expensive. I will be able to keep boring this till I can no longer drive it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
same here. i will take a 6.9 over a 7.3 anyday. plus the 6.9 is a fun motor. u say u have a 7.3 and people go ok. say u have a 6.9 and most say a what?

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i have done some more research and have sorta gathered that this should make a good power package for my 7.3

moose pump
BB code inj
Plugged wastegate
Intercooler like this

added to my current open element intake and 5" straight pipe

Thoughts?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
build it.

There are so many threads that start with that exact question, and what you have to realize is that that no power package for an idi will get you as much power as the same amount of work into a psd or cummins. Its just a fact of life. With that stuff my wild guess would be to say you will be $1500 into the truck and that seems to be where most of those threads end as well. Most people that dream about it dont have the money and those that do wont justify spending it on an idi.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only thing i can see that i could add really is a type4 cam. Honestly tho most of those build up parts, if done right can be really affordable. And yeh i know full well it will never crank 800ft.lbs but i like it just the same!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.