Performance trouble

Rykstalk60

Reaction score
I have a 2005 f350 and have had it about a year now.. Once it started getting cold out i noticed it was starting doing a chugg type of thing when i shifted into 3/4th gear and excelerated. It only does it every once and awhile and doesnt do it when the truck has been driven for a little while.. When it does it with every (chug) which only lasts for about 4-5 seconds there is a few puffs of white smoke comming from the exhaust.. Any ideas what this could be.. Injectors. Fuel filters ect?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be the FICM starting to go south...... or possibly you are starting to see stiction...

FICM - Fuel Injection Control Module - This supplies the 48 Volts needed to fire the injector spool valve and control the injection event of each injector. If it is starting to fail (bad batteries or alternator lowers the supply voltage and causes this to slowly burn out, aske me how I know......) and the timing and cycle of the injectors is not correct.

Stiction - The spool valve in the injectors (this is the lighter clicking/fluttering sound you hear while the engine is running, vs the louder "clunk" type noise of the ignition event, I've had mine long enough I can clearly hear the two different sounds) is moved by and electromagnet (this is the same valve you hear while the Wait to Start light is on) to control the firing of the injector. As they age, the bore the shuttle slides in gets highly polished. When the oil is cold, or dirty, the valve "sticks" in the bore, causing a cold miss and possible smoke, because it effects the timing. A good Full Synthetic oil (I use Chevron Delo 5W-40 Full Synthetic in the silver/grey bottle) helps this quite a lot. It also helps in cold weather starting in general, since the injector is operated by high pressure engine oil. (HEUI - Hydraulically operated, Electrically actuated, Unit Injector)

Also, to have this all in one place, this is what I wrote to you in the other thread....

I hate to sound this way, but are you sure there isn't something wrong with the truck? Mine will pin you back in the seat until it this the speed limiter.....

Here is a video I made in mine right after a FICM rebuild. The truck is 100% stock in this video, no tuner, and all factory installed parts in place....

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=385801491453830&l=9216285342915322624

It's no slouch..... and tows really well.......

Rykstalk60

Reaction score
Well here rescently i have had some issues with the batteries. A couple time since this started if my truck sets for about 24 hrs it hardly starts. Now this isnt every time it sits that londg but i rarely sits more than 12 hrs without being driven. Im thinkin i should get the batteries checked and or replaced first. Then go from there.