Parts for my Mileage

Banks7.3IDI

sling'r sidewayss
Reaction score
Hey all, so as the signature says I have a 90 250 diesel. I know it has to have only rolled over once on the odo judging by what I've replaced to date...so tell me this

With my 1990 7.3 with a Banks Turbo (non-wastegated) at 122,500 miles, what should I be worried about replacing soon? It was maintained well and never driven hard. I maintain it well too. Need to replace my lift pump now but my worry is more in the area of my Glow Plugs, Injection Pump, Injectors, and Return Lines.

How would I know when all that is starting to lack? When I'm losing power from a tired pump? I have it turned up a bit but also have propane injection. With the stuff I've done it's pushed 15.5psi before, but generally gets 5-9psi getting onto faster roads. It'll run with stock 7.3psd..Starts fine except for the occasional trouble from the lift pump

Lemme know please, trying to get a better paying job within the month, and once more money's coming in I'll be able to take care of what needs to get done. When I do do IP, Injectors, and Lines, I'm going to do DPS Turbo Calibrated stuff

linkman440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you go to DPS go look at the hall of shame. If your really looking for a good pump and injectors check out conestoga diesel. They will have what your looking for

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
If the truck starts easily and gets good mileage, I would let the ip and injectors ride a bit. They will tell you when they are tired. The return lines may be hanging in there as well for now. If there are no leaks and no air intrusion, I would let it ride as well.

I would consider timing the truck, rebuilding the oil cooler, making sure you have additive in your coolant, go for the lift pump for now. If it ain't broke........

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Oh yeah, DPS, really BAD. I don't even know if they have pumps to sell at this point. I think the pump builder stopped business with DPS, they are not good at all!!!

Get in touch with Conestoga. That's about the best shop for IDI's that you will find.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Time has proven that Conestoga Diesel in Pa. Is the best for your money. Buying form other sellers will save you some money but you will be getting an inferiour part. This has been done many times here and we like to save members the issues with buying cheap and getting screwed when it takes a dump on you. This site "guides" you by giving accurate time proven information. Steering you to "buy from my friend" is not something done here ever.
What information has caused you to feel DPS is where you want to spend your money. Many members would like to read up on what they have going on at this time...

Banks7.3IDI

sling'r sidewayss
Reaction score
The thing is I don't have incredible amounts of money to spend on the stuff whenever it has to be done, that's why the DPS one jumped out at me, good power upgradea reasonable price. I get about 15.5 mpg city and have gotten 18-20 highway. And I already stated how much boost I get, and I failed to not that my propane injection system is set on a solenoid that's button activated in the cab for a burst of 4.5psi of propane.

Putting all those numbers together, do you think mine's doing good so far?

Over the 10 months I've owned it, since 112,900, I've replaced -Both Batteries, -Starter, -Vacuum Pump, -Ball Joint, -Oil 5 times?, -Transmission Fluid, -Rear Differential Fluid, -Coolant to diesel specific red, -Drivers side Valve Cover Gasket, and soon to be Lift Pump

Does this seem right for the mileage?? And what else should I expect to have to do? Also it rattles on startup and shut down and I'm thinking it's due to the ******* Dual Mass Flywheel...but is this bad? It doesn't shift bad or slip or have any clutch issues..

Thanks!

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was my truck and it started well and got that mileage, I would leave the injection system alone. Maybe time it as that is "free"for me to do.
What gears are you running? Isn't that a lot of propane? I thought people who ran UT safely were running 1 or 2 psi

Banks7.3IDI

sling'r sidewayss
Reaction score
I have 3.55 gears in the rear, and yea 4.5 is pushing it but since I only push it under boost, which it gladly pushes, it'll handle it. 2 psi isn't even noticeable with my truck, I started low and went up from there so I know 4.5 is the ticket.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks7.3idi I'm interested in seeing your propane set up is it a homemade set-up? Or store bought?

Banks7.3IDI

sling'r sidewayss
Reaction score
It's a home made setup, short burst. The hoses were all professionally done by a local welding shop though,

PM me and I'll put up some pics/info/product list

Thanks for the interest though! It does give some more ballsss..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online