painting the front grille

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My grille doesn't look too good. There is shiny foil like stuff peeling up in the corners and whatnot. I have painted my wheels black, along with what you can see of the axle, and hope to do the frame and whole undercarriage soon. I think the grille would look pretty good blacked out as well. Any suggestions on what to use? I've heard that Krylon Fusion paint works very well on plastic, supposedly forms a chemical bond to the plastic, however it didn't work too well on my pvc potato gun. Any pictures anyone has of a similar project would be appreciated.

I-HFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you take a piece of sand paper and lighly go over the grille and get all your bad spots off it will look good thats what i did to my truck , take a look at mine , i painted mine withdollar store paint , but i would imagine that paint your talking about would do a very nice job:)

HankHill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cause painting it is more fun!

When I painted my outer duals and my fronts, I had a bit left. It was Duplicolor semigloss black paint from advance autoparts, I took like 180 grit(I think) paper and sanded it down and painted it off the truck, did a few coats then taped up the fenders and surrounding areas on the truck to paint the headlight bezels aswell, my trucks red and the glossy black front end looks sharp! ofcourse I had to rotate my tires so no more glossy clean wheels, only until I paint them again! lol good luck

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't repaint my entire grill, but I did freshen it up by masking off the chrome areas and spraying flat black Krylon on the faded black areas. Looks good.
If you sand the area you're going to paint and clean it well before you spray, cheap paint will work fine.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your going to need to sand all the chrome stuff off or it will finish peeling. I also suggest using the Truck,Van, SUV paint at Advance. IT is made for plastic pieces and has a flattening agent mixed in with it to help it lay down on plastic. I also would recommend an adhesion promoter.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Krylon Fusion is very good plastic paint, but you need to clean the surface well before using it. The can will have suggestions.

As a side note: any masking you do will make the job look better and you happier with the results. Take your time and you will be rewarded.

Worstenemy453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Krylon Fusion is very good plastic paint, but you need to clean the surface well before using it. The can will have suggestions.

As a side note: any masking you do will make the job look better and you happier with the results. Take your time and you will be rewarded.

I forgot about the Krylon Fusion.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The Krylon fusion stuf is supposed to be good. If you go by a body shop supply they have special bumper paint for plastics( which may be the same stuff, who knows ) but it is what they use in the body shops when re working cars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.