Water leak in the cowl area repair

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the '94 is not providing enough entertainment I tore apart the '87 standard cab 6.9 idi. I was motivated to do this when the wife said she was going to drive it. Uh, yeah, sure you are with an inoperative heater and intermittent wipers.

Well, last year I had the water leak above the non existent clutch pedal and cussed it most of the winter complete with mold and wet stink. So, I replaced the blower and resistor to get the heater working and got the cowling off with the wiper motor and arms removed. Looking at the cowl area in front of the drivers side I could see some caulking starting to peel up.

A trip to Lowe's for a quart can of "Flex Seal" with some cheap brushes this grand experiment will be interesting to see what develops. "24 to 48 hours or more to dry" Whu? Oh well. Tomorrow afternoon I will put it back together and see what happens.
I did like reading the directions on the can of Flexseal. "Roughen up the area with sand paper for better adhesion".
Shop vac the area, blow it out with a blow gun, then a piece of 60 grain sand paper and two holes in the hand quick enough found me getting out two cans of starter fluid to give it a good chemical rinse. Close enough. I gooped up the entire cowl area and figure that will keep it sealed for a good long time.
Currently it is covered with a tarp and keeping the morning dew fall off of it. That tarp might stay on it for a week waiting for it to "dry" after it's together.

Tomorrow is back to the '94.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll be happy with the results. I fixed my wipers about a month ago and while I had the cowl off noticed the original sealer was in poor condition. I dug out all that was questionable And used the flex seal spray to get in all the nooks and crannies. I was happy with the results. If it keeps the guy in the flex seal boat dry it should work on this lol

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did like the statement on the back of the can, words to the effect of "Not for use by professional roofers".
Whu?
Does that mean that professional roofers have trucks that leak or no one should really be using this on their roof? Wouldn't that put a hole in the commercials? Or just the bottom of the boat?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I had the windshield out on the 86 so I could clean up the area of the cab it is sealed to. Cleaned out all the old window sealer down the bare metal, and the POR`d it.
I removed the cowel vent plate, and the wiper arms off the motor,be careful the that little metal clip, it is only a dealer item. I carefully removed it and...ping it flew out the hole, over the pass fender into the gravel to never be seen again.

Auto supply`s do not have one, had to order from dealer and wait for a week. Can`t just get one, come in bags of 25 or something like that....

The air box under the cowel plate was somewhat rusty and old sealant had seen it last days. I used the HF air chisle and needle sclaler air tools.

The scaler worked pretty good to get into the nooks and cranys, and rough up the rusty painted areas.
After the POR paint, I used their POR Seal Sealer, laid it in with an acid brush.

The 86 has the Cowel with the large open slots, and I swapped to one from 87 and later with the small holes.
Had it sand blasted and painted.
Then had to change the hard crusty hood seal that was hard as Baka lite.
Used this product...

ordered 25ft to do my 2 trucks and my BIL 2. Cut off the top old crusty part and use the lower section as it has the metal strip and screw holes.
I cut off the lower part of the new seal as it is a bit wide.
Works good as new.

Goat