Owners of ATS prove to be low life Rats

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
The dpf actually uses another injector downwind of the the turbo to inject fuel into the exhaust to burn it off... it doesnt flood a cylinder.. and it only uses this when the heat from the motor is not up to temp.. its a good system but its longevity has yet to be proven...

welcome to oilburners!

and i dont believe that is the case for all diesels, from what i have read allot of current gen diesels use the regular injectors to flood the system like mentioned because it is not realistic for them to add a whole secondary injection system just for the DPF.

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
over here at school i've heard from a couple guys that have worked/know people in ford and they are not using another injector. they are infact injecting diesel in the exahust stroke. one of the guys that i was talking to about this said that after so many miles and times that the regeneration proccess has happened after a while there has been traces of diesel fuel getting into the bottom of the motor and ruining the main and rod bearings on the new 6.4's. but i'm not saying i know this personally, it just word of mouth that i have heard from people that have interned with and know people in ford.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the injector in the exhaust pipe is use in cases of not ECU engines where modifying the fuel delivery is not an option. I still can't get over the concept of injecting fuel directly into the tailpipe. Why not just pour it on the ground? Its a classic case of victory at all cost environmentalism.

And remember, you can't say environmental without saying MENTAL!!!!:mad:

DowneyB

Professional
Reaction score
I just did a report on retrofitting diesels with emissions equipment. If you want to 'opt-in' to reducing the emissions on your diesel, many states will reimburse part or all of the cost.

However, that is not the same as requiring owners to do it. You can require manufacturers to make new diesels compliant with emissions laws, but you just can't make owners of older diesels make them compliant with newer emissions laws. That just doesn't make sense. Geez.

That being said, I'm glad I don't live in California.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with Cali? No smog, no one cares about how much smoke i put out. There are some days where i just lay into the truck the whole way home. Ive never had any problems, the mexicans drive their smoky trucks all day with out complaints, ill do the same.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I like the idea of the trucks dropping the loads off at the boarder and letting the CA trucks come get them. Maybe when there is nothing in the stores, shops and warehouses, CA will get the idea. Just another reason why I'm glad I left!

zpd307

Reaction score
the extra fuel is injected into the exaust stroke, so it pushed out right away. anyway, whats the point of creating an emissions system that takes away fuel economy??????? it does not make sense that you have to burn more fuel to make the exhaust cleaner. it sounds like the big oil companies came up with this idea, and are laughing all the way to the bank.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the extra fuel is injected into the exaust stroke, so it pushed out right away. anyway, whats the point of creating an emissions system that takes away fuel economy??????? it does not make sense that you have to burn more fuel to make the exhaust cleaner. it sounds like the big oil companies came up with this idea, and are laughing all the way to the bank.

I think the official responce would be as follows:

"Some people may say that its not worth paying a little more for clean air even if we are not certain that we could save lives. I for one am willing to take that chance even if we save one life."

We have had spin doctors that traded our freedom for political correctness up here in canada too. Luckily we showed them the door 3 years ago. Anything you do to try and push them around would probably just make them dig their heels in deeper. So called progressives can be funny that way.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
If they really want to clear the air in California they should go after cow farts! They could pass laws requiring a constant pilot light device be installed by a bovine's ****. Then the offending emissions could be burned before they cause any harm. Besides, if anyone is qualified to deal with bull and ********, it's CA legislators.

tknomaj

Reaction score
California Emissions

From what I have read the emissions inspections on diesels are to start in the spring of 2009. Fleets have to inspect their big rigs currently and have had to do so for some time. But privately owned trucks have been exempt (this is us) any diesel powered vehicle made after 1996 the same year ODBII went into effect will be subject to inspection and will be made to come into complaince with factory specs and equipment that is in place and functional this not only applies to trucks but diesel powered cars as well. the information I received is from a friend that sits on the California Air Resources Board. I have known him since 1985 and he is the owner of Cal Test one of the states approved testing equipment for diesels . those of us with IDI'S will be ok and given exempt status simular to 1965 and below autos. But to say that the state will not require us to install retrofit devices have forgotten the 70's when vehicles were required to have nox boxes installed and ignition timing retarded and vacum advance disconnected for emissions inspections . and for those who think that they will just take the chips out and pass and then reinstall. their is currently road side inspections for gassers for emissions and the diesels will be getting the same the Bureau of Automotive Repair has the rigs set up and has hired the staff and plans to have them out and running. with the states lack of funds if you think they will drop this YOU ARE WRONG it is being seen as a money maker police officers will be on hand to issue citations for non complaince and Liberals love the idea of that it shows them that they are doing a good thing P.S. the state currently has soft wear that when plugged into your ecm will tell them if you have ever had a chip installed in your vehicle and it is looking to issue tickets in the future for that too.:backoff

tknomaj

Reaction score
California Emissions

YOU ARE SO RIGHT CHIPS ARE FOR DIPSLOL But when he first handed me the pile of papers and I looked at it I was SHAKING IN MY BOOTS for a while but after I had read it all i was releived and thankful I never went to to darkside and did a powerstroke conversion now I just have a healthy grin as i think of all those moded late model diesels out their :rotflmao

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
no idea what to say about this mess. I REALLY hope I dont have to bolt all that emissions crap on my truck. Its a proven fact that biofuel with hydrogen as a catalyst burns cleaner than a gasser.

The dpf is a joke. they clog up fast and if you modify the programming any it goes even faster. the new "tips" on the 08's are due to the "flame thrower" from the dpf. the system works by monitoring catalyst efficiency (02 sensor's) and exhaust backpressure. when the efficiency drops or backpressure goes over a point or enough time or miles has lapsed then the "regen" cycle kicks in. It can destroy the mains if you let your truck idle for days and change the oil based on miles. We have had a couple power line rigs in that have needed motors due to oil changes at 5k (the recommended limit) but the truck had idle hours of 2500 or more ( one hour at idle is the rough equivalent of driving 3 miles for maintenance interval purposes)

and as for them finding if a vehicle has ever been "chipped". Ford has a pid that can be monitored and a dtc (diag trouble code) that will store if parameters are exceeded. Its a cat and mouse game and it goes back and forth.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think we'll have to bolt anything to our trucks. We are a very small population comparatively speaking, and I don't think it will be worth it to go after us. There will probably just be 'incentives' out there to get the older trucks of the road. Unless your truck commands attention with a mushroom cloud coming out of it, I don't think we'll get a second look. As far as it being a money maker, there is much lower fruit to pick with all of the illegally mod'd ricers.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im all for clean air, but there is a limit at which we can clean up the air, especially, as mentioned, other foreign countries ( much bigger than us/U.S.) are pumping in huge amounts... cough cough china / Russia / Japan cough cough. Two questions, 1) where does CA plan on getting the $1Billion dollars to help fund the new engine conversions??? 2) why does California try to clean up the planet??? 3) how will cali get there goods to all there stores when the trucks cant afford to run a business 4) this is an excellent plan on the verge of a US/world recession put more people out of work at the same time jack prices on all goods

ok I lied more than 2 questions, but really