Overspeeded the engine tonight...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yipes!!

I let my girlfriend drive the truck tonight...it was actually the first time she's driven it since the ZF5 was swapped in, and is one of only a few times she's driven it since the turbo was put on. She actually did pretty well, except for when we got off the freeway...she went to downshift from 5th, and accidentally went into 2nd instead of 4th. -cuss She then let out the clutch...and, as you can imagine, the engine was singing nice and loudly. I don't have a tach and wasn't able to see the speedo, but I think she was in the 40 to 45 mph range...which, according to ring-pinion.com, means the engine spun up to somewhere between 4200 and 4700 RPM :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

The good news is, I didn't hear any weird noises from the engine for the spilt second that the clutch was released before I yelled at her to put the clutch in...and the engine seemed to run perfectly fine for the couple of miles of city street driving afterwards.

What do you all think? Am I safe, or should I pull the valve covers and make sure all the keepers are still in place? (something I'm not really looking forward to) Is there anything else I can/should check on the engine before running her again?

Thanks in advance!

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I would think that any problems will make themselves evident. If pulling the valve covers would give you some piece of mind, and you have the time, then go ahead.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
argve said:
Your fine... if a keeper was to let go it would have already done so.

I will agree,if it did any damage you would already know it.I did the same thing to the deuce except 5th to 3rd.I saw the tach get really close to 4000RPM(Governed at 2800!).Didn't do any damage to my Straight 6 with much heavier internals so I can safely say you did do much if any damage to the V8.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, good to hear. :) Getting the valve covers off was something I REALLY wasn't looking forward to, so good to know that things are good. I had a feeling that nothing would be wrong if it hadn't manifested itself already, but nice to have that confirmed...

Thanks again! :cool

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trucks are like wives. You shouldn't let other men drive them. Now other women.... Hmmm.... I'd have to think about that some. :love:

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
ya ur fine if u havent had any problems yet, i did the same thing to my trcuk about a month ago, a was hauling about 7,000 lbs on my trailer and i went to pull off at a truck stop, went to hit the breaks, and my trailer breaks wernt on hight enouth so i went to grab 4th and my compression break, when i noticed the moter didnt stop reving i accidentilly hit 2nd, man did she throw a clowd of smoke, but it didnt hurt anything, i was at about 4500 i think, thats all i saw

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Curious, it have never happened to me before but I have the feeling that if I try something like this on the tranny it would not let me get the gear in until the speed goes down to the top speed of that gear.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
I did the same thing on my Dodge and blew out the clutch--- well it didnt fail spectacularly- but a small piece of lining blew out and jammed the butterfly fingers. sad part was that I hadnt even let the clutch out all the way... realized what was happening right off the bat and punched the clutch.

It was fun driving the final 10 miles to home.... with no clutch. all highway with a couple stoplights in my favor.

As for Warden..... if you did any damage, it would have shown up by now. I wouldnt worry too much about it. worst cases are floating valves, lost keepers, spun bearings etc. And of course the clutch. :-D