Overheating Problems

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced my thermostat (got it from International), water pump, and fan Clutch on my 1988 F250. When I pull my boat, which is pretty small, my dash temp guage goes to full hot, and my aftermarket westach guage reads approximaterly 228 Deg F, but I think it would climb further if I didn't slow down a lot. The radiator is an aftermarket Taiwan type that does not leak. My guess is that I need a new radiator, but now my question.

What radiator should I get? Some here have talked about a 5 core radiator. I think the OEM is a 4 core. The one on the truck now is a 4 core. Where could I get one of those 5 core radiators, or would an OEM radiator from Fordparts.com be sufficient?

Thanks for the help in advance.

akoldnav

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my new thailand radiator, the tubes are so big the water doesnt stay in the radiator long enough to cool. I put a hose clamp around the lower hose to test the slowing down the water theory and it stayed 20 degrees cooler. I wouldnt run it like this but it did tell me what I needed to know. :thumbsup: I have a rebuilt 95 ps factory 4 row ready to go in, I will post results after labor day weekend. :rolleyes:
The core of choice from my trusted radiator shop is a 4 row dimpled tube. about 600 bones. :eek:
russ

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Travis (argve) is the only one I know had one on He's IDI. Now I have a 4 row and it works fine for Me now that I got the aftermarket fan clutch, before that mod it was not enough, again for My truck.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
akoldnav - What are we missing here? How much does you'r boat weigh,what size boat? Something isn't clicking to me maybe I missed something.You said a small boat.It sure doesn't seem like it takes much to cool my old jewel down when I don't have the 30ft gooseneck hitched up.Why should you need extra cooling for a small boat? Do we maybe have another problem going on here?

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The boat loaded and fueled can't weigh more than 2500 lb.

Note: I found a new, not rebuilt, OEM 4 core radiator today. I installed it and so far I can't make the temp get higher than 205. That was a strech about 5 miles with a hill at 65 mph. About 3200 rpm. Before the radiator this same test resulted in a temp of 220. I got the radiator for $325. That seemed like a fair price to me.

Thanks for all the comments.

akoldnav

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing could cause a heating problem. Even a bad injection upm could. If things are working for you just keep an eye on things. Maybe in the future you may want the MS Tech fan clutch. It really works. I run that and a custom 5 row radiator. I pull heavy and drive fast. Show horses don't like trailers any more that we like to just sit it one place for hours at a time. One of my "trips" are 34 hours of non stop driving. We get tired and so do the horses......

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
34 hours with stops only for fuel. Dang its a wonder the SPCA hasn't busted you and plastered your picture on the front page of the national news. I tried to find a 5 core radiator, but I couldn't find one. Actually the injectors are also new along with the fuel lines and glow plugs.

I bought this truck as a "bargain" on ebay, flew from Anchorage to Fargo to get it, and drove it back. Before it left fargo the entire front end had to be rebuilt, and all four tires were shot. The radio was missing and it needed glow plugs.

When I got the thing back to Anchorage, I replaced the injectors and lines. Added guages, and discovered that the thermostat was actually missing, so added that. Recently I have replaced the transmission, water pump, fan clutch and now the radiator.

All and all my bargain has been a costly deal. I do not intend to buy another vehicle on ebay. One the bright side the truck is rust free and came with a good motor and banks sidewinder turbo.

akoldnav