OverDrive Off light flashing

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I've read about vss and tcp and filp problems causing this....

would weather conditions contribute this prob. i've had no problems until wednesday and then again yesterday. here in oklahoma its been unseasonably COLD. last night in a town about 50 miles from me it was -31* F, yes i said MINUS 31* F. thats cold for Oklahoma.

i do get the hard shifts but all gears seem to be working fine.

:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno

help i don't want to junk the truck for a stupid tranny prob but the neighbors 99 dodge 5 spd is looking like a good buy right now.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the tach working?
If not, it's probably the cam sensor.
The computer needs it to run the trans correctly.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your tach and speedometer has to be working for the tranny to operate correctly or it will go into limp mode where you only have 2nd and reverse gears.

TPS and FLIP are the same, it's mounted on the IP throttle arm with 3 wires going to it.

The VSS is mounted on top of the rear diff, check the wires going to it, or pull it out and clean any metal chips off it. If the speedometer is cable, then the VSS is mounted there where it comes out of the tranny.

The tach sensor is mounted on the oil fill tower with 2 black wires coming out of it. Unplug the connector, unscrew the sensor and check for metal chips, the wires could be shorted together, they tend to get bare right at the sensor, if so RTV where bare.

Cold weather has no effect, except for hard shift until warmed up.

Unless you know how to do the KOEO test, you can't see any codes.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that last year anytime it rained. e tach sensor was cheap and took about 5 min to change.

I also changed the TPS and adjusted it and it has not done it since. My hard shifts are over now and the truck drives completely differently.

My 2c is that you need a tps. I think it is probably a carbon resistor inside and the cold has finally let it crap out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tps thats mounted on the drivers side of the injection pump should be replaced every 50 to 75 thousands miles... They wear out. All they are is a reostate with a thin piece of metal rubbing across some bare wires... those wires wear thin and break. The trans cpu (conputer) sees this momentary voltage blip and you end up in limp home mode... also there are 6 electrical connections that could have some corrosion in them. Three are found under the master cylinder and the other three are on both sides of the trans and the back of it. Use contact cleaner thats harmless to plastic to clean them... Fill with die electric grease and thats gonna do it. The injection pump tps needs to see .96 volts and up to 1.2 volts at idle, ignition switch on but not running. Make sure the engine is warmed up so the fast idle and advance are off. Otherwise the voltage setting will be way off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert