overdrive light blinking

Standstrong

Frankentruck
Reaction score
So my light on my shifter comes on and blinks. The truck runs like ass when it does. What does that mean? Hopefully it isnt catastrophic lol

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the trans going into limp mode, it basically skips 1st and 3rd gear and starts off in 2nd then winds the hell out of the engine and eventually shifts straight into OD, all while giving the pump a run for its money by switching the line pressure control solenoid to wide open. It's a failure management mode, designed to make the truck somewhat drivable so you can take it either home, or to a service station or a shop. The E4OD is a pretty decent trans that can tolerate a lot before it goes stupid, but there are some things that really **** it off - for instance, tachometer sender malfunction (how's your tach at idle?), VSS on the rear axle (how's your speedometer and ABS?), and even brake lights (are both working like they should?) - good thing you have a '93 which can store codes in the PCM, so at least it will tell you what it thinks is wrong with itself... Have you noticed any pattern as to in what situations the light starts blinking?

Standstrong

Frankentruck
Reaction score
Its really quite random, for instance today, all i did was start it and it was on, then it would go off and later come back on. I noticed it was when i put the hammer down a bit to get on the freeway. My ABS light does come on, tho my brake lights are fine. As far as the Tach, i dont have one

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I had this happen while driving in 4 low in the woods...I had the shifter in "1" to make sure the truck didn't shift while going down some steep hills....Hasn't done it again though...

discbrks

Reaction score
There's also a throttle position sensor on the sire of the IP. Its called the FIPL sensor in the diesel world. My FIPL went out and caused the came OD light to blink.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gare, he may have the sender, but not the gauge - which is entirely ridiculous on Ford's part, but it won't really be surprising...

wmyers4u

Reaction score
No worries......mine started flashing about a month ago. I took it into the transmission shop and $3200 later all is good.

I had it rebuilt with what is supposed to be heavy duty parts and a better torque converter. It has a 3 yr warranty so all is good.......I hope.

There is a speed sensor on the E40D that will reek havoc on the abs brakes, transmission shifting, speedmoter, cruise control and god knows what else. I would check that along with all the electric connections on the tranny before taking any expensive moves.

wmyers4u

Reaction score
IMO, I'd check through the sensors before doing anything. Check your local shops. You will find someone who will scan the computer for free. Smaller shops will sometimes do free diagnostics just to get you in the door.

If it needs a rebuild I would just drive it till it falls apart and maybe start looking now for a used/junk yard one.