Overdrive inverter...how to lock out e40d OD?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to lock out OD on my E40D. I need to have the transmission default to OD OFF when it is started and not be able to be selected on for a period of time.
Any ideas?
I know a company produced a unit that defaulted to OD OFF but all it took to cancel that was a tap of a button. I am looking for something semi-permanent.

I know its a strange request but details will follow.

wmoguy

Reaction score
replying mostly just so I can follow and learn from this thread.

Did you try calling Brian @ BTS about this?

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, other than some quick googling looking for schematics, this was my first stop.

Why lock out OD? The emissions test used in UT is an opacity snap test. The big reason my Truck smokes so bad during this test is the lag during the OD to 3rd downshift. If I can lock out OD, the turbo stays lit and the WOT smoke is reduced to a gray haze rather than a rolling black cloud.

Basically I'm locking out OD so the tester can't engage it.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go fill up somewhere with crappy diesel, so the fuel filter will clog. ;Sweet

Seriously though why not either impede the fuel supply or put in some kind of throttle stop? If they don't check out the linkage your could just tape a stack of washers to the throttle arm or something so that it couldn't quite reach WOT.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I figured it was time to break out the meter and see what is what. There are 3 sockets that the OD light plugs into when inserted into the shifted stalk. The top socket and lower socket closest to the driver are 12+vdc. The other is a ground. It appears that the transmission ecu is looking for a 12vdc discrete to disable OD. If that discrete is NOT present on startup or any time the key is in the run position the ecu defaults to normal, OD on operation. If the discrete is present the ecu turns off OD and the OVERDRIVE OFF light on the stalk is illuminated.

Wanna know the easiest/cheapest way to lockout OD?

Depress the damn button the entire time the key is placed in the run position or remove the button and jump the top socket and ground. Yep, that easy. Give the ecu 12vdc @ startup and it locks out OD.

I assumed this was all the "LOCKOUT CONTROLLERS" were doing, they are just doing it downstream in the harness via a switch.

I will either jump the sockets or just tape down the button with a penny and electrical tape to cover the OD OFF light and make the shifted appear sincerely redneck repaired. :)

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm posting via my phone, so sorry about composition.

My only hesitation and concern is what effect does a constant 12vdc input do to the ecu? It APPEARS that the ecu latches a momentary input and does not revert to normal operation until another 12vdc is sent it's way.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I timed the Truck this morning from 7* to 9.5* PBTDC and boost builds quicker, egt's are slightly lower and it smokes a hell of a lot more. Thick black plumes. Not really what I was hoping for emission wise but it feels good knowing it is timed correctly.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just reread my original emissions thread and noted that BlackDawg said his Truck is nearly smokeless at 5* and a and smoker at 10*. Now that I have the meter I'm far more comfortable playing with timing. Retarding the Moose pump is much easier than all this other stuff IF it works.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Are you still having to be tested?? <wierd>

They have told me that no opacity test was required any more... my truck hasn't been tested since 2010. My wife's '03 and my '06 are both diesels and all they have done on those is plug in to the OBD2 port and call it good. I am in the same county as you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726