Our "OTHER" ford IDI

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should name that ranger the "bearcat" after the WW2 fighter. That ranger must be seriously over powered.

Whats strange is I don't see anything in the way of a body lift. How the heck did he manage to stuff it in there?

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread going strong!

I bought this 2.2 mazda built perkins from a guy who thought it was the 2.3 diesel. Way more robust than that engine I said to him after the sale. I know. Had three of the 2.2s, have a 4d56, and watched a neighbour constantly frigging with the 2.3 (as I would drive by nonchalantly in the '84 perkins clackidy-clack NA idi cast iron gear driven everything).
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I still have it alright. Ended up rebuilding the engine since this thread was started and adding a few extras. Intercooler and brand new water cooled turbo woke it up nicely. I don't drive it anymore though due to rot on the box and fenders (RCMP in canada sometimes like to issue vehicle inspection orders and I don't want to take any chances). Nobody makes ranger quarter panels and finding a used ranger box that isn't already rusted and dented is like finding a teenager that doesn't know what weed smells like.

Currently stored under shelter until I find the parts I need to make it nice. Way too much work to take on another project right now and I'm not using patch panels. Did that once, and never again.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the day I had a diesel ******. It was given to me by a family member. I didn't really appreciate diesel's at the time, to me it was just a dog slow little car that got great mileage. I did learn to love it over time, as it was as dependable as sunrise. For a long time now I've been thinking of a VW turbo diesel in a Suzuki Sidekick. This is got me thinking that this might be an alternative power plant...

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bones done rotted away.
But the drivetrain's still good.
Anyhow, if there were to be THE other ford idi truck, it would be the 2.2, since it was a Masda built perkins,and we know Mazda and ford were tight. It's abit funny that mitsubishis went into fords, don't you thing.? but there's suzukies in Toros and yamahas in fords so whatev. just that the 2.2 is THE idi.

had to chime in.

also, I was offered the ****** mazda rf or rs whatever for free along with the 4.135 when I bought it and said to the guy he should hook it up to a boat as an anchor. Regret leaving it now... would like the ip and other bits... ran.0might have but didn't have f250 then. i took that industrial 2.2 away in a short box '83 ranger 2.0 with the lighter rear end.

Here's the first transplant victim, my first former veg oil burner... broke a connecting rod at 750k KM.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is beneficiary of the diesel pre paint. The blue one is where the low mileage 2.2 in the youtube vid went.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had an 86' Ranger with a 2.3L gas engine in it, and that thing drove to the moon and back almost twice. I would have killed to have the diesel model back then, but couldn't find one.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still see viable parts donors up here once in a while. Even I have a spare engine that I plan to rebuild as a spare some day. I'll have a spare 6.9IDI someday too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online