Original Glow plugs on an "86 6.9L

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok Let me have it to pass along to the father figure. :puke:

Pops told me a week ago that his 86 F-250 S/C 4x2 SRW 6.9 had been getting hard to start. Well easy 'nuff Glow plug system or plugs in general. :D
Looked at it tonight and holy :number2 those are still the originals at 19 years old. :puke:
Man do they look rusted in there. The truck has been sitting outside for the last 2 years to give way to the mobile command center (retirement coach bus) that has taken its' space in the barn. cookoo
Well as you guessed it, water has of course been sitting on the intake for much of it's time as the truck has less than 70k on the odometer. Yep can vouch for most of the miles too. ;Sweet
Anywho, how much PB am I gonna have to spend on these things and what am I looking at for troubles to getting the glow plugs out as they have been in them there holes for 19 years. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh yea that along with leaky valve covers, rear main,trans pan gasket, ps pump and A/C compressor leaking. She's pretty much in the clear for a MI truck.... :rolleyes:

NO he doesn't want to sell it either. :backoff LOL

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take it nice and slow... Dont force anything and use plenty of penetrating oil. My uncle is working on restoring a late 1800's/early 1900's locomotive here in Albuquerque. The crew there SWEARS by a product called Kroil. It loosens up 100 year old bolts in and on the boiler tank that are really nasty. I got a can of it from them and it almost makes rusty exhaust bolts back themselves out. See if you can find some before you start working on it!

I'd hit the plugs with the penetrating oil a couple of times a day for a few days before you try to get them out, preferably without driving the truck any.

Good luck!
Ryan

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With any luck, they are Beru and had some antisieze on them when they went in. Good luck!

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used pb on an old KW works really well i sprayed bolts every time i walked by for 2 weeks after breaking first one off & the rest came out with out breaking. used 3 cans sure beats the other way.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Agnem said:
With any luck, they are Beru and had some antisieze on them when they went in. Good luck!
as a matter of fact, you may be in luck, Ron...
i replaced my 13 year old OE GP's on 12/31/04. Luckily, they were Beru, & came out easily enough ;Sweet maybe the factory DID use anti-sieze?
Hopefully, they were doing the same thing back then.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
PB Blaster and Kroil are both equally good. I use PB at home and Kroil at work. I can't remember where we buy the Kroil from but I suspect something like Grainger or McMaster Carr...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
as a matter of fact, you may be in luck, Ron...
i replaced my 13 year old OE GP's on 12/31/04. Luckily, they were Beru, & came out easily enough ;Sweet maybe the factory DID use anti-sieze?
Hopefully, they were doing the same thing back then.

Beru's supposedly come with antisieze on them, so yes they were if true.

gandalf

Reaction score
reklund said:
Just take it nice and slow... Dont force anything and use plenty of penetrating oil. My uncle is working on restoring a late 1800's/early 1900's locomotive here in Albuquerque. The crew there SWEARS by a product called Kroil. It loosens up 100 year old bolts in and on the boiler tank that are really nasty.

I've made do with PB so far. Wish I had Kroil, though, in some cases.

They have a web site, if you all want to go to the source.
http://www.kanolabs.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online