Optimas - are they worth it?

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My batteries are about shot and the cold weather we've been having around here hasnt helped. I was out pricing batteries today and Optimas are $169.99 ea. Regular "Eveready" batteries were $69.99 ea. Are Optimas really worth the extra $$?? Will I get more than double the life out of them (for more than double the price)? The stock batteries have lasted 100,000+ miles.

White Ram

Reaction score
Russ,

No idea if they are worth it or not, but did you try Costco?

I saw some Opitma batteries there a few weeks before Christmas.

steve

NAIL BENDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric has had them in his jeeps for years and he likes them. Im sure he will be up soon to ramble on.

PADIESEL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two in my JEEP rock crawler and too me they have been worth the money mine are both blue tops you are probaly looking at the red tops? I would recomend them even thought I did not buy them in the ford when they went bad....
Advanced auto around here sells them for about 130 a piece....

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call Joe - I'll check at Costco!

I was looking at the yellow top Optimas.

B

Big K

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Some options.

Billy Bob's Off-Road on 128th and Meridian. Interstate brand. They have a gel-cell. Might check this out. Interstate warranty is usually very good.

Optima - 4wd Parts Warehouse. On So Tac Way. Best local in-house prices. Yellow tops for sure. Blue would be OK, but no need. Red's will work just fine, no matter what anyone else says.

If you can hold out until the Swap Meet in March, 4wd PW will be there w/smokin deals on their house brand gel-cell. It's new, so no comment, but I did buy one for a trailer battery last year. Ask me in several years.

Optima in the racer - no problems.
Optima in the street Jeep - came from the trail beater, still no problems.
Optima in the trail beater - yellow top - used and abused, and still tickin'

I'm sold.
:D

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I can wait - if we get more cold weather like this and I forget to plug in the truck, I doubt it will start..... :( I guess I'll have to wait and see!

infidel

Full of It
Reaction score
I won't buy any other type of battery now that I've used Optimas. No corrosion and 100% maintenance free is the reason. Wish I could have back all the hours of my life that I wasted messing with corroded terminals and wiring. I'm running over twenty Red Tops in various trucks, tractors and farm equipment now, oldest set is eight years, no problems.
You really don't need Yellow Tops for a Dodge, Red will do.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Bill recommended the red tops to me last summer. After having Whitmore jump start me once, then a month later up in the woods a friend had to jump start me with his dura smack, that was it. They are phisically smaller too, so one could jamb in some small bombs with the additional space. No problems thus far, it cranks over very nicely when it's cold outside.

PS I only paid $100 each at local autoparts store and only a few weeks later someone on the TDR had a lead on a special that beat that price. If your on the TDR, do a search, if not I'll look it up for ya.

Last edited:

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like your avatar TCPCD....

Reminds me of the sticker on the back of my truck!

You must be registered for see images

B

Big K

Beware of a real low price. I have seen some local parts stores with returned and checked units. Usually have an orange top. No Warranty on these.

Also be aware that there are two types of red tops available now. One is the original 800 cca and the other is a lighter duty 720 cca. If you're gonna go with the red, and I believe that they are plenty, make sure that it's the 800 cca unit. The others would prolly work, but the small $$ difference isn't woth it IMO.

BTW - My oldest red top is over 10 years now, and just starting to show signs of decreased potential. It started in my trail Jeep, went to my '90 CTD for nearly a year, (while I waited for the group 31 from Optima, finally gave up:( ), and is now in the street Jeep. Doesn't get driven much and the batt is starting to feel weak. I think I got my money's worth.:D

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 years sounds good to me! :) :)

I'll check that place in Tacoma out when the snow melts around here...

B

Big K

Russ, check with Billy Bob, too. Tell him I sent you, and see what he can do. He's treated a lot of my referrals right. Sometimes he can, and sometimes he can't. Otherwise it's 4WDPW.

The snow has been a blast, but it's time to go back to work. Really. And SCHOOL!;)

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No **** on work and school.....

Billy Bobs in Fife? Or 128th & Meridian?

B

Big K

128th and Meridian. Just West of Parker Paint.

Bob or Ryan. Both know me. 50/50 if you tell them you know me. Price may go up, or down. Roll them bones. ;)

BTW - off again tomorrow. 2 weeks and 3 extra days. They don't realize that they have to pay for it later, wheras I have to pay for it now and later.