optima red tops

wmoguy

Reaction score
any farm store shoulda had some group 31s. then again, most farm stores around me close up pretty early for winter hours.

yep same here. I'm in farming central. Good dinner with wifey took precedence over hitting bomgaars up. :angel: I'm thinking these group 65s will still serve me well.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the group 65s in mine too, but only b/c thats what i had in it from when i bought it, they were fairly new, and still under warranty. sooo new group 65s for free took the cake over payin for group 31s

Butcherman

Reaction score
FYI, Johnson Controls makes batteries for Wal Mart. They also make batteries for Autozone, Advance Auto, Interstate, Ford, Motorcraft, AC/Delco, Sears Die Hard, Energizer at Sams Club, Napa sold west of Kansas, Optima, and Costco Brand.

Each customer has their own specs that the batteries are made to.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
FYI, Johnson Controls makes batteries for Wal Mart. They also make batteries for Autozone, Advance Auto, Interstate, Ford, Motorcraft, AC/Delco, Sears Die Hard, Energizer at Sams Club, Napa sold west of Kansas, Optima, and Costco Brand.

Each customer has their own specs that the batteries are made to.

PRICE SPEC.

I sell interstate in the shop. They stopped selling the MTP65 (3 year) in south florida due to a very very very high return rate.

I personally have some 65's in my truck and they're great.

check out deka's agm battern in a 65 group size.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I remember when Optimas were awesome. I've used mine for heavy winching often when rockcrawling and it has always been impressive. I ran them for years and have (had) nothing but good to say about them. That said I don't think I'd buy a new one because of the bad reputation they have now :dunno

I picked up an Interstate after talking to a local dealer/friend. From the sounds of it they are pretty good batteries. We'll see.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to do the modifications, I think the group 31s are a great choice. I've seen BrandonMag's in his bricknose and they are the cats pajamas ;Sweet

If you don't want to do any modifying, I'd run Deka's or Interstate's, just my .02 worth.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And +1 on the Optima's not being what they used to be: they changed from their old concentration of nearly all ****** lead (I have a buddy with a yellow top that is 6+ years old with lots of abuse) to who knows what kind of quality, but I know that their warranties have gone sky high since changing manufacturing facilities.

octopus

Reaction score
i bought the same autozone batteries you did for my diesel, seem to be working pretty good so far. as for optimas, used to be awesome, i had one that lasted at least ten years, but now they are junk. i recently went to batteries plus and bought there agm/gel battery for my jeep. IIRC, it is a rebadged deka, and slightly cheaper. check them out.

Last edited:

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the sears die hard platinums are now made by a different company and are supposed to be really good. I've used interstates for a long time and they have been pretty good but might try die hard platinums next. Anyone have any experience with them. My understanding is that it is just the platinums not golds or anything else

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Sears platinum Die-Hards are made by Odyssey. I replaced the factory (Yes, factory) spec Optima Red Top in my CRD with one. Haven't owned it long enough to know if it was worth the $$$. These techno diesels are real picky about getting proper voltage to fire the injectors...:puke:

Always ran Red-tops in my 4x4's until the new ones started leaving folks in our club stranded. That said, my wife's Willys must have one of the good ones- it was installed by the PO and has been abused badly and still comes back every time so far.

I've had good luck with Autozone Gold in my kids cars and a hot rod project I drove for a year before I bought my IDI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online