Opinions on oil

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey oilburners, got a quick question! figured I’d pick the brains of some of the fellow diesel mechanics on this site.

I have a 1985 F250 4x4 5 speed. She’s got a rebuilt 7.3 idi with a 088 ATS kit on her. Doesn’t leak nothin, doesn’t hardly burn nothin, doesn’t have a bit of blow by either. I drive it 100 miles everyday to my mechanics school here in sac, I live in Ione and it doesn’t get too cold maybe 30F. (Hasn’t snowed since the ice age)

Iv been putting 11 Qrts of Shell Rotella 5w-40 with FL1995 filter since I got the truck because I heard your supposed to run a thinner oil in the winter to help with the cold starts. I run 15w-40 in the summer when it gets hot enough.

Are my practices correct? Should I run 5w-40 year around? Or switch on and off to 15w40 as the temperature changes?

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In California you really shouldn't need to worry about changing your oil for the winter, I run 15w-40 all year and it doesn't complain at all when the temps drop down to ~25-30*F.

A lot of people will tell you to stay away from Rotella because these engines love to drink it up, but if you've got one of the magic ones that likes Rotella, then there's nothing wrong with it. I just picked up 10 quarts of Rotella 15w-40 today, my engine doesn't drink it so I keep on using it.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
My dad always said, buy the best oil you can afford to change. took me quite a few years, but I agree with him now. Sounds like you are doing that, I'd stick with your program. But I also agree changing weights for the winter isnt needed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It does get cold here in northwest Kansas. Not as clod as some places, colder than others. I don't change oil weights in the winter time. This winter has had me thinking about doing it, though.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap 15W40 and change it on a regular basis. The oil doesn't wear out, it just gets full of crud which is too small for the filter to clean.

I like Mobil Delvac because they seem to run discounts on a regular basis.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, the 7.3 I got is in real good shape and I want to make sure it gets the best wear protection. I change it every 3,000 or 3 months

What are your guys opinions on Lucas oil additives? Also I hear mystik oil is an old school tractor engine oil that people like to put in these old pigs?

RDieselKid84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started using Rotella when it came out in the 70's when I drove a 18 wheeler. Been using Rotella 15-40W since the first oil change in 1986 on old blue. It has started drinking it, but I think it has a broke ring from setting up for a few years of not being run very much. It has 261000 on it and most of them are city miles as a service truck. As long as it stays two quarts low it will run there. I don't like to run it there when I pull a load. If I were to change it would be to delvac.

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your guys opinions on Lucas oil additives?
I personally don't use it, but the original owner of my truck swore by that Lucas additive. He told me that he added one quart of Lucas every oil change for the trucks entire life. Right now the engine has 321k miles on it, it leaks a bit, but you can take the oil fill cap off while the engine is running (hot or cold, no difference) and you'll see zero blowby, and it rarely drinks more than 0.5-1qts of oil every 3k miles. At 295k I had a compression test done and all 8 cylinders were above 400psi.

Now, is that just due to the religious oil changes every 3k miles, is it due to the Lucas, or is it just the IDI's natural durability with a side of blind luck and/or ****** sacrifices? My engine survived 290k miles with the PO always using it, so if nothing else, I know it won't hurt your engine. I just can't say whether or not it has any real benefit. :D

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the Rotella 5W-40 for winter starts. It seems to make a real difference in real cold.

The important difference is around -10F to -20F or so, when it might not be able to spin fast enough with the thicker oil, and you might be tempted to try to start it without plugging in. At -40, the truck has to be plugged in to start no matter what.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
I like the Rotella 5W-40 for winter starts. It seems to make a real difference in real cold.

The important difference is around -10F to -20F or so, when it might not be able to spin fast enough with the thicker oil, and you might be tempted to try to start it without plugging in. At -40, the truck has to be plugged in to start no matter what.

That's not necessarily true, I started mine at -40 a couple weeks ago without it being plugged in and sitting over night. it made a lot of racket but she still fired up. I also run synthetic 5w40 rotella

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brassbandit, I haven't tried to start without plugging in any colder than -10F or so, and it took five seconds or so of cranking even at that temperature. I just don't want to put the extra wear on it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised it worked for you.

BrassBandit

Reaction score
I totally get that. I would have plugged mine in as well if I had the option at the time. it sure didn't sound like it liked it when I fired it up lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is one theory that I have absolutely no plan to test out.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not necessarily true, I started mine at -40 a couple weeks ago without it being plugged in and sitting over night.

What is your secret I'm good to about -15*f without plugging in but I have tried at -40* an after 2 trys I gave up plugged It in and went in for a few hours also I run 15-40 all year regardless and every diesel I have ever worked with runs 15-40 all year at the mine I work at the cat haul trucks it recommend 15-40 all year and we had several nigjts that we're over -40*

Last edited: