Open air filter

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
As far as I know, no one is, and no one sells one. The most common mod to the aircleaner assembly is to cut off the "soup bowl" on the lid, and remove the air deflector on the base.

superswamper61

Reaction score
hey if you want to run an open cleaner this is what i did on my 89 7.3 i went to Advanced Auto Parts and bought one of their 16 inch universal hot rod top and botom then i bought a 16in x 4 in K&N element for it and the only other things i neded was threded rod to replace stock bolt and a 3 inch wide pipe clamp to raise it up over the throtle assembly. if you have any questions feel free to ask i had my truck taken apart down to the frame so mabe i can help.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search on "ghost tube" That is a nice way to do it.

2manydsls

Reaction score
When doing air filter mods, be careful! A very small amount of water injested into a diesel will stop a piston in its tracks, hole, bore, or something.:eek:
Ross

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true, but I think many or even most air intake designs will be less prone to hydrolock than the Ford stocker.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Very true, but I think many or even most air intake designs will be less prone to hydrolock than the Ford stocker.

I'm not sure what the '87 air cleaner looks like , but my old '92 factory air cleaner was built to deal with water. Even had a drain tube with a one way valve ( pinched flat rubber end ).

Those fancy open air filter and tube setups, are begging to suck water. I haven't yet heard directly of anyone with a truck sucking water, but I'
ve herd of plenty of diesel cars that went that route only to suck up a belly full of water from the rain gutters on the street and wind up with a full set of well ventilated pistons.

----------Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk