One more hard start after sitting, but this one's different

Rattlenbang

Reaction score
Original IP with 250K on it, boy you got your $ out of that one! They don’t usually make it that long.

If the starter spins fast, and the engine kicks over on ether, I’d be looking at that IP. Get a flashlight, look underneath it for signs of fuel leaking onto the valley pan.

Have a professional diesel shop check the pump out if you’re unsure. Just replaced the 30 year old IP on my truck and put a matching set of injectors in the truck. All Stanadyne parts. Cost about $1200 all in, but boy did it WAKE THAT TRUCK UP! No more hard starting either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard this before, and I find it pretty surprising. I've had a number of vehicles equipped with the Bosche VE pump and my current Volkswagen has just over 410K and the pumps work fine. You might have to replace the cover seal at some point or the shutoff solenoid, but the pumps just don't wear out like this.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The Bosch VE (rotary) pump, and a Stanadyne DB2 (rotary) pump are 2 different animals. Some pump designs last much longer than others....

Wes @Thewespaul would probably be the best to explain this.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online