On the note of pulling...I'm wanting to try it out...

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the local calender, there appears to be a Truck and Tractor pull at the Big Knob Grange track May 22 starting at 10am, for anyone near Beaver County that might be interested. I haven't a clue on any specifics, and it doesn't just say "tractor", although it's being presented by the Big Knob Antique Tractor and Equipment Association. They have another one listed for June, and that does specifically mention Street legal pickups. I don't even know what the rules are for pulling, but I'd sure like to hook my truck to a sled and see what happens.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever attended a pull? I would definitely go to some and take notes if you haven't. If you have, and your looking to keep your truck streetable, you are limited in the mods you can make, but there are definitely 2 that I would make sure you have before you consider driving out on the track. Without these two, you are wasting your time, money, and you will probably get laughed at.

1) a locking rear axle (detroit locker, tru-trac, ARB or similar)
2) tires with meat on them. (not street tires. not mud and snow.)

Without having all 4 wheels turning (at least 3... you probably will not put a locker in your front axle because you want to keep it on the street) and being able to throw dirt, it won't matter what gear you use. You won't move. Also, keep in mind, that's at least 10,000 pounds worth of sled your hooking to. Make sure your hitch is up to the task. More than one guy has been laughed off the track because his hitch ripped out from under him. Also, don't use a drop-step hitch upside down to get more leverage. You will exceed any reasonable tongue weight. Jack the rear up instead... with higher arch, springs. If you can't do that, come up with a crafty way to fix your rear axle so that the suspension is disabled.

SoWoCo

Just a stupid teen
Reaction score
the key to pulling a street truck is that if it dont feel good (shaking and whatnot), then quit. also, ease into it at the begining and once you have the sled moving THEN hammer it. and when you are at the end of the track just spinning your wheels, stop as soon as you can. 99.99% of all trucks break in the first 10 feet or the last 10 feet

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good info here. I have been to a lot of pulls, I've just never done it myself. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what's under the back side of the truck; coming up the dirt road behind my place, it will spin both tires every time I lay into it. When it's in 4, I haven't tried to do anything crazy to see what happens. I know it doesn't like to turn when the hubs are locked, and even in snow tries to bounce around on turns. I'm not opposed to a detroit, and can't afford the ARB stuff. There's a class V hitch attached to the rear frame of the truck, and a turnover gooseneck in (under) the bed. I don't want to get laughed off the track, and in the process give a bad name to the IDI.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Isay just run it. We're gonna take our 2WD trucks up to Stockbridge during their tractor pull just to see who's will go the furthest. I'll take my '86, Jim's got an all stock '93 CTD and my uncle's got a '95 Stroker. All of them are stock, 3/4 ton and 2WD. Should be fun since I have the only good tires out of the three! lol

You must be registered for see images attach

97444psd

Reaction score
At the end of this month we have a test and tune pull just pay $5 and enter whatever you want, i'm going to take my 6.2 and my 6.9 and compare the two. Both have good tires and 4x4 only disadvantage is the 6.2 is a half ton but i'm not afraid to break anything:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mydixiewrecked

Members online