Old style brake controller wires

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my new truck came with the old style hydraulic / electric brake controller with the brake line that runs straight into it.

Now I know technology has came a long way since then and I have a really nice one in my 4x4 but I'd like to give this one a try.

My biggest problem is its not wired up. I have 3 wires Red, black, blue. So I'm guess is
red= + hot
Black = - ground
Blue = trailer signal?

Can anyone confirm this so I can actually have trailer brakes again??

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black might hook to the brake light switch. No ground needed iirc

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the old ones hooked to the brake light switch. Your talking about the one with the resistor coils under the hood right?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No resistors under the hood. That I've found.... I'm sure I would have while changing an engine.

The amount of brake line for dictates the voltage sent to the trailer brakes so I don't think I'd have to tie into the brake light switch. The PO had two wires that ran the full length of the truck from it

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black ground...red 12 volt positive ....blue brake output to trailer... to adjust this controller you rotate the hand knob...clockwise more aggressive braking rate...
the controller should be set to make the trailer do 60% of the stop during normal stopping conditions.. there used to be adjustable resistors you could put under the hood for trailers that the controller would overpower. I have not seen them in some time...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tie in for the switch is so if you hand activate the controller it turns on the brake lights, I looked at my old kelsey and it has a white also , it goes to switch.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Kelsey Controller is a inertial activated Brake control. It uses the signal from the brake switch to start to check the inertial force applied to the sensor then sends brake power out the blue wire. That controller has power on the Black wire, ground on the white wire, cold side of the brake switch to the red, Blue out to the brakes.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Is one of the last fluid ones. Big boxy thing ,has 4 wires,never seen another fluid with the white wire.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Black ground...red 12 volt positive ....blue brake output to trailer... to adjust this controller you rotate the hand knob...clockwise more aggressive braking rate...
the controller should be set to make the trailer do 60% of the stop during normal stopping conditions.. there used to be adjustable resistors you could put under the hood for trailers that the controller would overpower. I have not seen them in some time...

I've had my '69 F250 for ten years this September and never knew until now just what the heck that was, thanks for clearing that up!

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online