Oil was like water!

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I checked my oil the other day and when I pulled the stick, the oil was so dang thing it started just dripping off the stick. Its weird I have not even put 1000 miles on it since its last oil change! I smelled it for diesel, and didn't smell anything. My truck dont seem to use or lose oil because its always right in the same spot on the stick. I used the case ih brand oil. Ive never used it in my truck. Hopefully its just that my truck didn't like that oil. I went out and got a fl1995 and 3 gallons of Rotella. Hopefully this dont go thin, if it does it has to be fuel in the oil right?

Also hopefully this was the cause of the ticking. Id go drive it but Ive got another project to finish up. Adjusting the Waste gate and installing the factory turbo heat shields.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to check your lift fuel pump to see if the seals have ruptured.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Could it be that in summer 15W40 is not a good choice? I'm noticing the same thing. It's too thin. I thought the mix probably have more of the low than of the thick oils :dunno.
I asked the guy in NAPA and he said I can put straight 40 but it's about $16 a gallon. I'm changing the oil today and I'm thinking if I should do a test with the 40.
Burt. (you guys know what goes here).

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may not be able to smell it if only a little. I have tried straight weight in mine in summer and the pressure is actually lower because of the lack of viscosity improvers in straight weight.

burtcheca

farmer/cabinetmaker
Reaction score
Our summer reaches until November here! We still have 90's at 2:00 PM. I change the oil every 3,000 miles, it takes only two months for me to drive that amount of miles.
Burt.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull it off, should be pretty obvious if you have diesel on the wrong side of it.