Oil system diagram for 1994 e350 na idi ambulance?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The return lines were cracked and leaking air in so I replaced it along with viton O rings.
If you run into leaking issues on those replaced O-rings, just slather the O-rings and inside of the cap with wheel bearing grease and try again.

I am curious if the timing will change if I reduce the pop pressure at 1600 or 2200 as to the normal 1800.
Yes, yes it will.
More than that, if you get too high you'll run into hot starting issues as the IP fails to push that pressure(Yes, I've done it).
Note that "too high" is relative - one pump might work fine at 2200, one (worn) one might not work above 1400.
This is the reasoning behind replacing the IP along with the injectors.
The real key is to keep them all the same - the tighter the pressure grouping, the smoother the engine runs at idle.

You don't want to try to mess with changing the pressure to change the timing - you do the exact opposite; you want to get them all to the same pressure, then adjust the timing(by pump rotation) until you get your desired timing.

I have deleted the pump and installed a holley red. This was the main reason i am putting a fuel gauge.
Key here is consistent fuel pressure. Changes in pressure greatly affect timing - higher pressure = more advanced timing, lower pressure is more retarded timing.
If you can keep the pressure within 2 PSI from idle to WOT at 2800RPM, you are good.

The alternator is not operating properly. It is a leece neville 165 amp alt. With the engine running, it is only at 12.7v. I have the brushes and regulator collecting dust for now.
Not sure what the Leece Neville alternator looks like or what the wiring on it is; post a picture and I might be able to help on the wiring.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel system is airtight. I made sure of that. It was part of the smoking trouble shooting I did. turns out, one of the injectors was bad.

Changing the timing via IP looks a little complicated to me. Im not even sure if it IS perfect timing. How would I know? what would be the symptoms for retarded and advanced?

fuel pressure was running at 5psi consistent idle with holley red on diesel purge mixed with left over clean atf I had lying around.

leece nevilles are apparently beefy alts that were meant to be run on idle to recharge. I found out that ambulances were either on idle or plugged in to dock.
I can figure out the wiring for it. It is not that hard for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Starter-Alternator-Econoline-Replacement/dp/B004QYD4YK

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing the timing via IP looks a little complicated to me. Im not even sure if it IS perfect timing. How would I know? what would be the symptoms for retarded and advanced?
The 'correct' way is to time it similar to a gas engine - with a timing light. Except that instead of measuring a spark, you have a "pulse meter" which hooks onto the #1 injector line and feels the jump in pressure as it injects.

The 'back yard' way is to move it back and forth until it has the most power, because that will give you good fuel economy as well.
If you get blue/gray/white smoke on heavy acceleration, you are retarded.
Black smoke is neutral or advanced timing, slightly overfueling.
(you want to see a slight haze of smoke at WOT(full throttle), no more than that.
The actual timing adjustment is simple - loosen the 3 nuts holding the IP to the gear housing, and physically rotate the IP with a wrench. If you go very far you may need to loosen the lines at the IP so they don't bind so much.

fuel pressure was running at 5psi consistent idle with holley red on diesel purge mixed with left over clean atf I had lying around.
It's not the pressure at idle, it's what it is under load as well. I've seen pumps put out 5 at idle and 0 under load. Basically, if you want a fuel gauge, you want to watch it under WOT(wide open throttle), foot-to-the-floor acceleration, and see what it does.
(Note: my '93 with stock mechanical fuel pump pushes about 4 at idle and 2.5 under full throttle at high RPM... and I'm pushing over double the fuel into the engine you are)

leece nevilles are apparently beefy alts that were meant to be run on idle to recharge. I found out that ambulances were either on idle or plugged in to dock.
I can figure out the wiring for it. It is not that hard for me.
https://www.amazon.com/Discount-Starter-Alternator-Econoline-Replacement/dp/B004QYD4YK
I'll point out that I've never had a problem with the non-leece-neville Ford 3G alternator being able to push 14.5V at idle, so you can always use one of those if it's cheaper.

The externally-regulated 1G(in older trucks) had an issue where it would only push about 13.5V at low idle(which ends up being odd, because I was able to make it push more at idle by making the controller think it wasn't outputting as much, so it's a controller issue and not an alternator output issue).

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need a lot of amps. The scene lights has 50watt bulbs. there are 8 of them. lights inside has 6x 30watt bulbs. If I can't fix the alt, ill upgrade to 200amps.
My plan for this ambulance is to travel the US. An incognito RV. I want to "bulletproof" it, as to say, a 9mm. are there any common broken parts that are easily upgraded? are arp studs even necessary?
how are you pushing twice the fuel? did you adjust the governor?
I don't need power. I need mpg. I thought about mobile wmo processor but thats a long ways away.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need a lot of amps. The scene lights has 50watt bulbs. there are 8 of them. lights inside has 6x 30watt bulbs. If I can't fix the alt, ill upgrade to 200amps.
Not saying you don't need it, but those lights only add up to 580W or around 48 amps. I think someone around here did a test on a normal IDI and found that it draws less than 30a max - there just aren't many loads on one. I mean, you really only have a couple of head lights(100w), 4 tails(30w each, 120W total), a few dash lights and the blower fan?
This is why even a 130a alternator(at least one that can put out a good fraction of that continuously) would still have plenty of extra to charge the battery(which only is really just for the first 5-10 minutes; after that it's just float-charging at a couple of amps).

are arp studs even necessary?
No. No they aren't. They are important once you are adding HP, pushing over 15-ish PSI of boost in a 7.3 IDI, or about 5 PSI of boost in a 6.9 due to the smaller bolt diameter.
I've been kind of surprised; I've totally expected to blow the headgaskets due to what I'm doing with my '93(stock '88 7.3 engine, no studs, Factory turbo, RD2-110 IP... pushing double the stock HP to the wheels), but it hasn't blown yet... and it has had every chance to blow them, considering I overheated it last February and the gaskets started weeping coolant a bit, but I haven't gotten any into the combustion chamber or combustion gasses into the radiator that I know of.

how are you pushing twice the fuel? did you adjust the governor?
Two reasons. The stock IP is good for 1.8x the normal fuel(there is literally just a fuel limit adjustment screw inside), but you cannot use any of it unless you have a turbo. All /you/ would get would be black smoke until the motor melts down. You need more air to burn that fuel, and no, there is /no/ replacement for a turbocharger to force that air in.

The second reason is that I put on a larger than stock IP, custom built by R&D IDI Performance. That got me the extra few percent of fuel I needed. Now I just need a larger turbocharger, and I might break 300 at the wheels...

I don't need power. I need mpg.
Keep your speed down, then. If you can go 55, you'll get far better economy than 60 which is better than 65 or 70. The higher you go, the less mileage you get.

With a turbo on there helping out the burn efficiency at the higher end(2300-2600) which is where you would probably be running if you are going 70-75, it'll help... but you still won't get good economy at all going that fast. Usually, I'll average 14.5 if I'm doing a lot of 70MPH

Also, the big boxy cab on your ambulence hurts it a lot too - On a recent trip in the summer, I averaged 11MPG while doing 70-74MPH with a big truck camper on. The frontal area just /hurts/.

Last edited:

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beafy alternator is mainly to have "room" for upgrades along the line. Planning on adding 5kwh nissan leaf lithium batts so I can watch more funny cats on youtube at nights on the crt tv Ill put in. Maybe a 500w subwoofer too for entertainment. I am too lazy for solar.

I thought about putting a turbo in it. but I realized that ford basically put in this diesel engine in a gas cutout truck. they had to literally modify the frame by grinding and hammering out a space for the second battery :(. there is no space for it without major modifications.
Isnt the stock hp ~200hp? your avatar says you are pushing ~250

I read about diesels running water/methanol on the intake to get some mpg boost. it looks promising but i dont want to risk it.

yeah I realized that I will get terrible mileage off the bat. it is at 9900 gvm. that is why I looked into running wmo.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt the stock hp ~200hp? your avatar says you are pushing ~250
180 HP... at the crank. Dyno will put that around 125 with a good-shape engine. I've seen a NA IDI put down 85 to the wheels.
I'm pushing 250 to the wheels, which is more like 320 at the crank.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh nice! I have never been on the performance side of diy mechanics. More of a reliability side.
Would the 3" exhaust increase the MPG along with the hp?
I realize that the 7.3 powerstroke have almost twice the power with the same amount of displacement. Is it more because it is DI? or is it more electronically controlled?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Leece-Neville alternator is one of the best. Putting out only 13.5 VDC is an indication it has one blown or more diodes. Take it too an alternator repair shop.

You cannot change or set the injector pop pressure without a pop tester, very small shims have to be adjusted to set the pop pressure, each .001 thickness shim raises the pressure ~50 PSI. The shims are not available unless you would get them from a hydraulic repair shop. Pressure can be set from 1850 to 2000 PSI. You have to be Hospital Clean when working on them. Your better off buying a new set from TYP4 or ConestogaDiesel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the 3" exhaust increase the MPG along with the hp?
Not really. Taking the muffler off and installing a glasspack or other free-flowing muffler will help a little, but it'll be barely noticable. You need more air /in/ to the engine.
I realize that the 7.3 powerstroke have almost twice the power with the same amount of displacement. Is it more because it is DI? or is it more electronically controlled?
It doesn't. Again, it's rated at(for even the 2002 model year) 250 crank HP/engine HP, which dynos to around 190 at the wheels.
Older 7.3 PSDs were rated even less.
It's more than an IDI makes, stock, because it does have a turbo which pushes some extra air in there.

BTW, here's a good article from 1992 from Banks testing the turbo kit they offer:
http://web.bankspower.com/magazine/banks-sidewinder-turbo/
It's actually a really nice read. They actually managed to get 135HP out of a stock IDI, but it was also a 1992, and brand new.

Here's an article about performance for an '02 7.3 PSD:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/powerparts/
Made 202HP stock, 305 with the Banks PowerPack stuff installed.

The stock number being the important one.

Another thing to point out is that elevation matters when you are talking about 'power' - With a N/A engine, you lose a lot of power going up in elevation, due to the thinner air. With a turbo, you still lose some, but not much.
I'm at 2,000ft elevation where I am, and all of the dyno tests I personally watched were at that 2K elevation. The others(in forum posts and articles), I don't know.
They are supposed to apply a correction factor to the raw dyno numbers so everyone can be comparing apples to apples, but it doesn't always happen.

And, as I've said earlier, it's very important to make the distinction between crank HP and wheel HP; the former can only be measured with the engine on a stand; the latter can be measured by simply driving onto a big drum and spinning it with your rear wheels.
The former numbers will be higher due to no losses; the latter is a good representation of 'reality', as all of the other losses(gearing losses from transmission, transfer case, driveline, rear axle; fixed loads like the fan, vacuum pump, alternator, PS pump etc) are all taken into account.

That Leece-Neville alternator is one of the best. Putting out only 13.5 VDC is an indication it has one blown or more diodes. Take it too an alternator repair shop.
I thought he was only getting 12.7V; not charging at all?
Ford 1Gs put out 13.5V at low idle, though. High idle they put out 14+

You cannot change or set the injector pop pressure without a pop tester, very small shims have to be adjusted to set the pop pressure, each .001 thickness shim raises the pressure ~50 PSI. The shims are not available unless you would get them from a hydraulic repair shop.
Or old injectors if you have a set.
And no, it's not a linear relationship like .001 = 50psi. /around 1800/ that is true, but if you were at, say, 1400 you couldn't add .008 and expect it to be 1800. It might be close, but it won't be exact.
That's just my own personal experience talking after having re-popped several sets, and actually re-built two with new nozzles.

Pressure can be set from 1850 to 2000 PSI. You have to be Hospital Clean when working on them. Your better off buying a new set from TYP4 or ConestogaDiesel.
I'd recommend R&D IDI Performance myself. Conestoga's prices are really high, and I know for a fact that R&D injectors come with brand new nozzles. TYP4s do as well, the same exact nozzle.
And yes, I've tested the R&D nozzles both new and after 10K and was really impressed.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the ambulance package alternator, it’s a big girl and it keeps up with all the ambulance accessories well but they have gotten more expensive over the years and harder to find parts for.

You must be registered for see images attach

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pop tester. all 8 injectors measured 1700 - 1800. They are standadyne type E injectors.
I ordered some core injectors for the shims and a dowel that was broken from before.
Is hospital clean really necessary for these? Is rowanda hospital clean ok?
I had been staring at R&D injectors for a month but it is always out of stock.

Thewespaul yes! that is the alternator! I will replace the regulator, diode trio, and the brushes for it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you want to be surgically clean. Do it in the wife’s kitchen if need be, but it needs to be clean. I sent a set of injectors to a customer recently and the grease he used on the injector threads contaminated an injector nozzle and I had to send him another injector because that one stuck open on start up. I have injectors if you would like a set that’s already setup and ready to drop in.

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's ok, thank you. I cleaned mine with the ultrasonic cleaner and it is working well now.
when the nozzle stuck open, did it crack the piston?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, he had a bad nock and luckily shut it off and called me, no damage was done and truck runs great now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US