Oil system diagram for 1994 e350 na idi ambulance?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because of the IDI design, a stuck-open injector will cause a bad knock(firing way too early), but generally won't melt a hole in a piston, because the diesel won't be hitting the piston until after it lights off. In a direct-injection design, you would get a hot spot caused by diesel not spraying properly, a bunch of it hitting one spot, and that's what will melt the hole... at least as far as I know.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They wont instantly a hole like direct injection but it will have very high egts, pretty much will just melt down that piston and eat the cylinder

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They wont instantly a hole like direct injection but it will have very high egts, pretty much will just melt down that piston and eat the cylinder
I believe you, but I'd also be interested in seeing pics of this if you run across any.
I've seen the edge/corner of the piston eaten away a little on motors that were run hot, but that's the worst I've seen, and it was only 1/16" or so deep; totally not a problem when the rings are over 1/2" down.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont have any dramatic failures here but I believe I remember seeing one piston that had some melting around one edge in an engine I tore down last year, Ill see if I can dig it up and take some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online