Oil Supply for Turbo

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I rebuilt my oil cooler, I forgot to map out what supplied this point in the filter head. It's the front-most plugged port. I'm thinking this is post-filter 'clean' oil, but I'm not sure. I'm currently using it for an oil pressure gauge. I'd like to use it for turbo lubrication as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

The tap at the back of the intake manifold where the original sending unit mounts isn't gonna work. I can continue trying to remove the plug at the back/bottom of the block on the driver's side, but it's proving to be a real bear. If this port works, it'll save time and trouble.

Attachments

• 100_0978.JPG
    100_0978.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 60

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope... Don't use that port for the turbo supply. Use the feed from the bellhousing flange or the plug you can see in the picture on the block. On this side of the block there are three oil feed plugs and one block drain for coolant. The coolant drain is the larger of these but only on the non turbo blocks. On the turbo blocks all the plugs be it coolant drains or oil gally plugs are all 1/4 inch. The oil galley plugs on non turbo blocks are 1/8 inch... Hope this helps..

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary, thanks for the info and the idea. ;Sweet

I'll pull the bushing and the tubing fitting and give that plug a shot. Picked up some some 8 point sockets, so I'll get after it tomorrow after work.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your welcome.. When Banks installed my turbo I teed off the top oil sender fitting to my mechanical gauge and got main oil gallery pressure there. then some years later I teed off where banks gets the turbo oil from to feed it. Same oil pressure there as before up top. So you can run a sender pressure line off the top of the turbo feed line and get main oil pressure there too.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the top oil sender fitting was my first choice. Years ago, the metal nipple broke at the threads. In trying to pull the threads, the easy-out broke. While trying to drill out the easy-out, the drill bit broke. Gotta tell ya, not a good day at the shop. Looking back, I should have sent the block out to have the 'stuff' removed before starting the machine shop work for rebuilding. That would have ensured that everything worked as original. Oh well, the good news from all this was that the metal stuff was packed in so tight, there was never a problem with an oil leak. (seriously) At the time, the priority was getting the vehicle on the road as my DD. Well, life happens and that was months ago. Other priorities (daughter's engine destruction/overhaul, job interviews, new job) and have made truck repair a part time hobby. Add to that, as I borrow vehicles for temporary transportation, I go in and repair obvious problems, service them and detail them. This ensures that they're reliable (to me) returns them in better condition than when I borrowed them. Great plan, but this also stretches out the timeline.

Well, said all that to say this - much as I hate rework and added time, I think the best plan is to go back out there and pull the oil pressure bushing and line that I've installed and also drop the exhaust crossover. Then go back to work trying to remove the plug in the bellhousing flange and the forward plug that you see in the picture. Get them both out (however long it takes), choose one and then install a brass plug in the unused one. Or use them both; turbo lubrication, mechanical oil pressure gauge and sending unit for OEM gauge. Yup, better schedule a beer run on the way home tonight.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online