Oil pressure sending unit?

TorchMadness

Reaction score
It seems my new love has sprung a leak and from what I can tell (I am a new diesel owner) I think it is my oil pressure sending unit. It's not a horrible leak but it is leaving a small spot on the ground after driving it each time. There are no heavy wet spot on top of the motor other than below the air filter housing. Now the bottom half of the engine has years worth of buildup class one fresh buildup all over the place. I checked to ensure all fittings were tight from the oil pan all the way up and nothing is loose. Is it possible that the sending unit leaks and it just cascades over the whole engine? Pictures to follow...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess is that its the rear of the valley pan.
there is a drain hole in the valley pan that is right next to the oil sending unit.
pressure wash, drive, and inspect.

TorchMadness

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

TorchMadness

Reaction score
The top photo is where I believe it is coming from somewhere under there and the second a far view of where it is. The rest just to show how much it leaks and the old build up. Also it barely drips when running idle it's when i park it all the oil drips in the parking spot.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed the other day that mine appears to leak exactly 2 drops when I shut it off from exactly around where yours appears to be leaking. I don't get near as much on the ground as what you are getting though. I let it run for 5 minutes and had someone rev it back and forth a small amount and not one drop fell while running. It's almost like the pressure of the engine holds it from doing it and as things equalize when it shuts down something sputters just enough to let a drop or two. It's been 3k miles since my last oil change and he's still full and I haven't added any to it either. Waiting for spring / summer to look into it if I even bother if it never gets any worse.. At this point, it's anti-rust for the axles during fun pa winter time.

TorchMadness

Reaction score
im going to pressure wash it underneath and around top suspected area then have it inspected with the glow in the dark stuff to pinpoint it. hopefully its nothing too serious so I can at least make it 4 hours away for my Reserve training in Tampa lol. I made it with no problem two hours from the guy I bought it from. He did mention a slow leak that caused him to add a quart every 1k miles. I'd rather fix the problem instead of spending the money once a month to add oil.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check uour CDR if lotz of blow by that xqn force oil out.

Likely a valve cover gasket for sode of block..the top pic is of IP amd likely an IP gear cover is leaking or qo ring aroumd IP where it goes into the drive gear cover.

If you check the valley drain and itz clear steam off engine so you can see NEW fresh oil and where its coming from cause once shes soaked like what you have....irs impossible to knkw outside of UV dye checking...

Dirty Oil on dirty oily engine looks like dirty oily engine and is hard to find the exact.leak.

Dirty oil on a clean engine...now we are talkin eh...theres that leak

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. You might need to steam clean that engine to get it clean. That's a lot of oil leakage & crud buildup. Engine degreaser & a steam cleaner will work great as long as you stay away from the IP & air intake.
Put some engine oil dye in her & you will find the leaks.

TorchMadness

Reaction score
UPDATE*** After futher digging around and with the help of the forum friends here at Oilburners, I have discover the bottom nut on the Injector Pump is in fact missing (this one was hidden is why I missed it the other few times) and the other two slightly loose! Waitng for some sunlight in the morning and will be cleaning the pump up and tighten her down! Hopefully this is the source of all leakage and the problem will be solved! Thanks again for all of the help! You guys rock :rock:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep. That could sure cause a leak. If the nuts were loose/missing, your injector pump could have moved. I'd get the timing checked.

TorchMadness

Reaction score
Ok so I've cleaned the motor and transmission up after tightening the two loose nuts on the Injector Pump. However I can't get to the third one to put a nut on it. Without a nut on it since the bolt goes thru the oil input cause it to still leak due to the missing nut/washer? I was able to tell that the leak is for sure coming anywhere from the base (where the missing nut is) of the IP or possible below that where it is impossible to see on the passenger side. I can see it dripping from that region while laying under the truck with it running. My only guess is like I mentioned maybe its leaking around the bolt with a missing washer and nut.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've cleaned the motor and transmission up after tightening the two loose nuts on the Injector Pump. However I can't get to the third one to put a nut on it. Without a nut on it since the bolt goes thru the oil input cause it to still leak due to the missing nut/washer? I was able to tell that the leak is for sure coming anywhere from the base (where the missing nut is) of the IP or possible below that where it is impossible to see on the passenger side. I can see it dripping from that region while laying under the truck with it running. My only guess is like I mentioned maybe its leaking around the bolt with a missing washer and nut.
The pump seals to the gear housing via a o-ring. Presence or absence of nuts on one or two of the three studs that secure pump to gear housing is irrelevant to oil leakage, as long as you have at least one stud with a nut holding the pump's flange against the housing's face the o-ring will be in the proper position and will seal like it's supposed to... assuming it's not petrified and hard as a rock, in which case you can have all three studs with the nuts tight and she will still leak oil.

Steam-clean engine, use dental mirror to see where exactly oil is coming from. And possibly be mentally prepared for the need to buy a new IP.