oil pouring out the back of engine

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear main seal goes would oil just pour out the back of the engine?
My day today.
I was hauling my 27 foot fifth wheel to go hunting in my EGTs were running about 900° to 1000' (prob is in off the exhaust manifold) when all of a sudden smoke started pouring out from underneath the truck, so I pulled over and shut it down, and when I got out and looked under the truck oil was pouring out from between the bell housing and engine oil pan.
Does that sound like it could be a hole in a piston causing the oil pour out or just the rear main seal letting go?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would check is the oil pressure sending unit back there on top of the engine. Or if you have a oil pressure gauge, I would check the line. Also, if you have a oil line for the turbo back there I would check that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. I suspect the turbo feed line from the back of the engine has started leaking. Its a hard place to get to being at the top back of the engine kind of under the turbo. Generally speaking a rear main seal wont just let go like you posted.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys, I realy appreciate it.
I'm getting towed home now so first thing in the morning I will look at that, I'm hopping that is all it is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it isnt the turbo feed line or the stand pipe for the pressure sender might be rear main or...block plug vame out of oil galley at rear of block

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at the time with all the oil pouring on to the gravel alongside the road I couldn't tell but it was transmission fluid, my e40d is shot, so now I'm looking for a good used e40d for sale in the Portland Vancouver area.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
didn't have a trans temp gauge?

are you sure it's shot? did the trans start slipping before you pulled over? did you top it back up yet to see if the truck moved? it may just need a seal and some fluid......and a temp gauge,and probably a larger aux cooler.;)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well glad you found the leak issue but sure not an easy fix. You may end up filling the trans and testing it. Might be ok but not for long. When temps go up high enough to push out trans fluid they usually have melted the front seal. Finding another trans might be the best thing for a quick r&R job.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes icanfixall, I think the seal is shot, today I started it up and right away fluid started pouring out.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found 2 in Washington. One says it was a recent reman.

Transmission
Ford Truck F250 RECENT REMAN SK4881 $650 Ace Auto Wrecking USA-WA(Longview) Request_Quote 1-800-562-8692 / 1-360-423-0370 Request_Insurance_Quote
Transmission
Ford Truck F250 E9TP-CB 150,000 A 13567 $450 Randy's Auto Parts and Towing USA-WA(Okanogan) Request_Quote 1-800-553-4466 Request_Insurance_Quote

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
front pump bushing walking and or just converter seal failure doesn't automatically mean it's time to change the trans.
you literally could be $6 + fluid away from a fix.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few blown seals replaced in autos and vavoom...back up and running.

Ya pricey work...remove trans and tqc replace 10 buck seal and install but well worth it IMHO. If it was me...I would pull trans inspect seal and replace if ***** and reinstall trans and hope for best.

JM2CW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online