Oil Plug Threads? Hate to even ask

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. I have been trying not to ask this question for over a month. I have wasted too much time trying to search for the answer. Just so ya'll know. You cannot search for the word oil on this board it is too common. Anytime I search for plug I get Glow Plug related answers only.

On to my embarrassing question. What size is the oil drain plug on my truck? It's a 93 with obviously the 7.3. Everyone's database is calling for an M14 *** something or other. That's too big. Hell when I placed an order at RockAuto I figured they'd send the right one. Nope. M14 ***.

As it is I am leaving a 4 inch diameter puddle overnight from the damn oil drain plug. I have been parking over a catch pan when possible but that's not always possible. I don't leak, visibly on the ground, oil anywhere else from the engine so I have to fix this.

I just need to get the right parts in hand so that the next time I change the oil I can get the leak to stop. And yes, I changed out the crush washer with the "recommended" one at the last oil change. It's worse than before. RockAuto sent me the exact same ones.(same part # even):dunno

Anybody crossed this bridge. If I knew the exact size and thread pitch I would try to find a captive o-ring plug. I hate leaks.:mad:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best thing I ever did for my fleet was to replace all the drain-plugs with FUMOTO valves.

Oil changes are now a breeze.

I can even drain the oil into jugs, instead of a messy pan that, sooner or later, gets spilled.

AND, no danger of stripping threads.;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
use caution on the drain plug you choose. look at the pics and you can see a couple of problems. One the "threads" in the pan is nothign more than a sheet metal nut. Two, the oil pickup screen is right above the hole so, too long of a plug will hit the screen.

Attachments

• 07-01-07_0156.jpg
    07-01-07_0156.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 07-01-07_0155.jpg
    07-01-07_0155.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 15

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Oil Change Systems and get a drain hose assembly. Better than a Fumutomo valve and easier to use. Then you don't have to monkey with the plug anymore and risk buggering up the threads.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run through the woods too much to trust a valve down there. I know nothing should be touching the oil pan anyway but if you could see some of the things i've seen. (I'm sure some of you have) Plug is less likely to get caught on something. Valve would be nice (and clean) though just not safe for me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As Towcat has posted, the oil pump pickup screen is really close to the botom on the pan. I measured it and found it to be about 1/4 inch clearance. If you have some dents in the bottom of the pan its even closer. Don't beleive it.... Next time you change oil stick a screwdriver up in the drain hole and be very surprised at the small clearance.:D

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the warnings Towcat and ICanFixAll about plug length. It was something I wondered about and had decided I wouldn't use anything longer than a 1/2" for safety reasons due to not knowing what's up inside there. The plug I have now is at least that long from the base.

It would really be unfortunate to shove some long bolt in there and screw up your oil pickup for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828