OIL OR SOOT IN COOLANT

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i bought a 94 turbo idi. it has a weak cylinder and oil or soot in the antifreeze. any thoughts. i think i want to put a new engine in it but wanted to explore other options first. thanks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How do you know you have a "weak cylinder"? That reason will tell you what you need to do before you start throwing money at it.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when it turns over you can hear a weak cylinder in the cycle. also a mechanic tested it and said one cylinder didnt have much compression. thanks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm supposing he did a compression test then? FWIW, compression specs are 195-440 but in reality we see anything in the 350-550 range on a healthy motor. What you really are hoping for is all cylinders above 350 and the the lowest reading to be within 25% of the highest. A "weak cylinder" might well mean low compression which could come from rings, a blown headgasket or a valve problem. Black stuff in the oil could be a headgasket blown internally(not extremely common), cavitation pinholes in the block(fairly common on 7.3), or oil cooler o-rings(common on 7.3s). If you have cavitation or a really worn out motor a longblock might be your best option. Other members have used Dealer's Diesel, Promar, and Diesel Auto Services. Good luck,
JD

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
There's a good chance the oil is just the oil cooler orings.
As far as a weak cylinder, on any old diesel you stand a very good chance of having stuck rings from sludge/carbon buildup. Before condemning anything, try running a couple of treatments of Auto RX and see if you can loosen things up a bit. It's not snake oil, I've revived a number of old diesels with that stuff and seen compression numbers go up as much as 200 psi in holes with sticky rings. The stuff aint cheap, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a rebuild, and the worst thing that it will do is leave you with a nice clean engine inside , so if you do still have to tear into it, you won't have as big a chore cleaning parts;Sweet

-----Robert