Oil Loss

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
When temps stay low below 40 does any one notice there motors leak more oil than when temps are 50 or above. When cooler than 40 I loose about 4qrts between oil changes (5000 miles) when not only about 1 1/2 to 2 qrts?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never paid attention to leaking more oil when cold but it makes sense as seals, metal, etc contract when cold. I usually notice cold coolant leaks which is common on about anything.

As far as noticing oil leaks on the PSD in particular I can't comment as my rear main is leaking like the Exxon Valdez right now and the whole underside of the truck is well lubricated.

Used 2 gallons in 600 miles:eek: since I pooched the install of the new seal a few weeks ago:idiot: Gotta get into it again this weekend.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before replaceing my engine for the second time the old engine would **** oil out of the oil cooler orings til the truck warmed up in the cold wheather.dureing the summer it didnt leak a drop.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Mines not leaving any puddle or anything like that . Figured at 281,000 might need to replace the valve stem seals if it gets any worse. but to some it sound like that 4 qrts is bad:D