oil leak: rock auto rant

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. Usually I go to the local parts store to get what I need for an oil change. Fl-1995. This time I was lazy and ordered 2 filters from rockauto while I was ordering other parts. I even made an impulse buy and ordered a fancy drain plug that doesnt have to be removed to drain the oil. Dorman EZDrain.

Now I have leaks from both the filter and the drain. Loosening or tightening does nothing. Was I to add my own gasket to the drain plug? The motorcraft filters are fl784. I put oil on the ring before installing. Any tricks anyone can think of before I drain the oil and start over?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most things made by Dorman aren't worth a crap.
Now fumoto OTOH.....
So is it leaking from the valve or the seal? I would say you likely need a seal there.
I would snug the filter a bit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There needs to be a copper crush washer on that drain, the gasket on the filter may have been shoved to the side or came out if it’s grove as well

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to make sure the gasket from the previous filter wasn’t still on the block when you screwed the new filter on. Double gaskets won’t seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Fl1995s work fine on my 87 6.9. Never any leaks. Copper washer for the factory drain plug. (I should get magnetic before my next oil change)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My drain plug has a plastic washer on it - those work just fine as well.

edit:
Just to make sure you guys know... The same plastic washer was on it when I bought the truck. It wasn't new then, and it's been 3-4 oil changes since?

Also same with my '88 - had the same plastic seal for like 4 years until it got /really/ flat and I happened to have a better one handy... I don't think I've ever bought an oil drain plug seal.

Last edited:

ps444mike

Reaction score
I use to get a copper washer with a rubber insert from autozone.. never had a problem used on one side then flip an then a new gasket

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The hard nylon washers are probably ok if replaced often.

Do NOT use those usually blue bendy washers!

I use solid copper washers, no rubber. Torqued to spec with a cheap HFT torque wrench. They don’t really crush much if tortured properly and can probably be reused at couple times.

(I have rebuilt two front ends, Dodge B300 & F250, with those torque wrenches, they seem reliable)

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait... People actually torque their drain plugs? I always just use a crescent wrench(or actual wrench if I happen to have it handy) and just torque to "snug" and call it good. No issues in the last 5 years, so...

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait... People actually torque their drain plugs? I always just use a crescent wrench(or actual wrench if I happen to have it handy) and just torque to "snug" and call it good. No issues in the last 5 years, so...
I’m with you, been changing oil since before I had my Licence and never torqued a drain plug. Never had one leak and never had one strip lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It doesn’t hurt to torque. I’m not in any hurry when I’m changing the oil. It’s not like I’m in an oil change job where every minute counts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online