Oil leak on top of engine

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a big pile of oil sitting under the turbo tonight and was wondering where it might be comming from. It is about 3/4 of an inch deep:eek: . I've 3 quarts of oil in the last 600 miles but I just figured it was all leaking from the leaky oil cooler. Here is a picture that shows some of the oil. I will get a better picture in the morning.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 25

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's all concentrated right there under the turbo it is most likely the turbo feed or return line. It could be one of the lines or just one of the connections between the lines and turbo/motor. It looks like the turbo housing is wet as well. I would start looking at the turbo oil inlet as it would see the most oil pressure of these parts. Also it would run down on the turbo center housing from where it was leaking.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo housing is wet from the penetrating oil I've been spraying on it to help the bolts come out easier. I see if they have loosened up enough in the morning to take the turbo off and see whats going on. It looks like the oil return line because the feed line is dry and has no leaks.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose penetrating oil would have the same apperance wouldn't it.cookoo O.K. so scrap the oil feed leak running down the turbo housing idea then.:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely your valley pan drain is plugged up too. Who knows how many months of accumulation you have in there. It may be making the problem appear worse than it is. When you change out your pump, you'll have a good opportunity to clean the whole valley pan out.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valley pan is a total mess. As far as I know the engine hasn't been touched in 14 years and 135,000 miles ( it still has the gray piant on the return lines and the paint wasn't even scratched on the ip line nuts), so it has a lot of junk and oil on it. It sure didn't help when mice made their nests on the engine a couple of years ago-cuss -cuss . Here are some more pictures of the mess

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 13

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That sucker is plugged big time. It would do you well to cap those injectors and oil line, and then presure wash the sucker!