Oil leak!!!! Bad CDR?

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Hey friends!

So I recently turbo'd my 92 7.3 Idi.
Running great across the board other than an oil leak I haven't been able to identify....at first I thought it was the feed line from where the sending unit comes out, but the oil isnt just running down the back of the engine, it's all over the f**king place....all over the top of the engine....the Valley pan and some of the fuel lines are all soaked with oil.

The volume of oil leaking isn't huge, but it's enough to leave a little puddle...maybe like a quart every few weeks or something like that depending on how much I drive.

One of my friends told me to check for blow-by because I could have a bad CDR? He said that a bad CDR could lead to increased crankcase pressure therefore leaking out of the oil drain at the Valley pan? Seems like I do have a little more blowby than usual....could this be the culprit?

Also to note- I did punch holes in the valley pan baffle when I installed the turbo. Probably like 3-4 holes....

Let me know what u guys think...sure would be nice if I could just swap out the CDR instead of pulling the turbo.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Is that the factory turbo? Did you replace the olive seals on the oil supply line?

Yes it is a factory turbo, and I had a friend do me up new compression fittings....there seems to be too much oil towards the center of the top of engine for it to be the supply line. The spot where the line meets the turbo is dry, the one on the block is not, however neither is anything else from the turbo back....

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds similar to my oil leak! cdr-valley pan grommet on mine was trashed causing a pretty bad leak! Also injection pump gear housing was leaking (sealed it now) on mine and valley pan is currently leaking now as a moderate leak everything else top end has been resealed on mine now

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I miss it in one of your post?
Can you remember if you punched holes in the valley pan for the new turbo install. Oil would tend to build up in that area an leak out.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Did I miss it in one of your post?
Can you remember if you punched holes in the valley pan for the new turbo install. Oil would tend to build up in that area an leak out.
I did punch holes in that baffle...maybe not enough? i cant remember too clearly but im pretty certain it was 3 or 4......

I Ceaned everything off, pulled the CDR yesterday and cleaned it out with diesel...tested it by attaching a shop vac to both sides and turning it on...seemed to close when i turned the vaccuum on but didnt shut off flow completely...does this sound like it functioning correctly?

ive been driving it for another day after cleaning the cdr and the oil is still leaking...its odd, the oil buildup seems to be on top of the intake manifold, underneath the turbo, and it almost looks like the seal between the turbo hat and the intake manifold is leaking oil???

my head is spinning...if it were the turbo drain grommet, wouldnt it just be leaking in the valley pan, and into the drain hole....and the intake manifold would be dry on top?

i will take a photo so its easier to see. hang tight

Last edited:

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Is the snail seated to the intake good? Under boost it might blow air/oil out all over the place.

I blew the boost gauge line off the intake snail once hauling. Theres oil all over the underside of the hood because of it...

The turbo will pull oil mist out the cdr valve. A new air filter helps. Its the nature of the beast tho.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Did that O ring fall off between the pedestal and the bottom of the turbo?
Is the pedestal sealing up where the N/A cdr valve goes?
Oil leaks on these can be a real pain to find....

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Did that O ring fall off between the pedestal and the bottom of the turbo?
Is the pedestal sealing up where the N/A cdr valve goes?
Oil leaks on these can be a real pain to find....
I'll have to check the seating of the snail....to be honest it almost looks like part of the o-ring is poking out a bit. As far as the pedestal I'm pretty certain it's sealed, although its very difficult to see even with a mirror, as I haven't relocated my GP relay.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
Not sure if those photos are clear enough, but the oil is spattered around where I'm pointing at, right beside the entrance to the intake manifold. My throttle cable, and cruise control cable are soaked.

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you poked holes. Next step might be (without catching things on fire) to put some kind of rag or paper between the turbo and valley to exclude things. Maybe just idle the truck and wait for a drip.

bblaweless

Diesel Kid
Reaction score
So upon further inspection, it is indeed the turbo hat (snail) that is leaking....the o-ring that seats it to the intake manifold is completely shot/torn, and is poking out between the snail and intake in the back....

So obviously I need to reseal this...I tried to remove it on its own, but I can only seem to get it to budge a bit....is there any way to remove just the hat without removing the turbo? And if not...can I seal it somehow without removing it??
Or am I S**T of of luck and stuck with removing the turbo....I would really like to avoid that lol

Also, is this amount of oil normal for this area of the intake? I know they're supposed to have some...but this seems like a decent amount...
Thanks guys
B

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the same spot where I have a leak, intakes seems to seep oil mostly I've noticed, I just installed everything with new gaskets, however i have come to the conclusion that my valley pan is leaking in various spots

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online