oil in air filter housing?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was nice out today so i've been giving the truck a once over. Noticed some oil residue on the block under the air filter housing so I pulled it off. There's a layer of oil on the inside of the housing itself, and you can see a tiny puddle of oil inside the....the thing...that connected to the top of the intake (not sure *** it is..it's a small box looking thing that just bolts to the firewall side of the intake opening). Any ideas what's going on?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
that would be your crankcase vent AKA CDR. it vents the blowby back into the intake. A little oil residue is normal, however if its puddling I would get a new one. The part number is in the parts bin, along with the numbers for the grommets you will need.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't seem to find it online so i'll just call the case dealer down the road tomorrow. Ps. Where is the part mounted on the block, so i have an idea where to look for it

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nvm. found a picture, and that's where the oil is sitting. ironic.

Also, I have some vaccum lines that are plugged off. Any reasons why I should NOT connect them...?

edit: and more fun stuff....One of the belts around the alternator is a little loose, not sure why i have to tighten them every few thousand miles but anywho.. looking at it..there's fluid leaking inside the alternator. what the hecks with that? It's only a few months old, and seems to be charging fine. I seriously can't imagine why there would be fluid inside it...bearing grease? glue? i don't know

Last edited:

gatorman21218

Reaction score
thats alternator fluid. haha I have no idea.

What vacuum lines are you referring to? The only things that use vacuum are: HVAC, Cruise control, Brake booster and C6 tranny (i think).
So I dont know what other lines you have.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part on the firewall next to the air filter housing, where all the vaccums come together. THere's one with no hose, it's just a rubber plug overit. and another one with a bolt in it. I'm assuming thats supposed to go to the air cleaner. i took the bolt out and will see what happens.

and yeah *** lol, i don't know why there would be fluid in there. it looks like oil lol

gatorman21218

Reaction score
nope no vacuum on the air cleaner. Diesels dont create vacuum so thats why we have a separate vacuum pump. Dont mess with the vacuum lines then it sounds like they are correct. plug it back up or your brakes wont work

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brakes work fine so far, just trucked around town seeing if it felt any different. If I don't have a vaccum hose that goes to my air cleaner, why do I have a spot for one on my air cleaner lid? Wrong lid for the truck?

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brakes work fine so far, just trucked around town seeing if it felt any different. If I don't have a vaccum hose that goes to my air cleaner, why do I have a spot for one on my air cleaner lid? Wrong lid for the truck?

Its a spot for Filter minders. It was also used by ford for diagnostic purposes.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please plug the open vacuum lines or you will loose vacuum and the brakes. Its not safe to run with low vacuum. These engines never had a vacuum hose going to the engine or filter cover. As posted the vacuum only runs the power brakes, the ac heater vents, the C6 trans and the cruise control on any truck..

gatorman21218

Reaction score

You have worked on gas engines before right? ok forget everything you know when you open the hood of the diesel. haha just kidding but the big difference in the two are the fuel system. the bottom end is very similar (except 4x as stout on a diesel).

On a carbed gas engine, the throttle controls how much air enters the manifold. so at anything less than full throttle, you are choking the air and therefor creating a vacuum.

OTOH, a diesel is fuel controlled. It has an unrestricted air flow, and the engine output is controlled by how much fuel is injected. therefor the only vacuum created is by the restriction of the air filter, hence why you need a vacuum pump.

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please plug the open vacuum lines or you will loose vacuum and the brakes. Its not safe to run with low vacuum. These engines never had a vacuum hose going to the engine or filter cover. As posted the vacuum only runs the power brakes, the ac heater vents, the C6 trans and the cruise control on any truck..

Perhaps I originally have an auto tranny and cruise then? I mean, there's two legit hoses branching off that junction that are just laying there with bolts them, they must have went somewhere at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online