Oil Filter Threads

RenoF250

Reaction score
I was changing my oil yesterday and noticed two 3/4" long metal slivers in the threads of the oil filter. That really bothered me becuase that is the filtered side so there is nothing to stop them from going into the engine and embedding themselves in the bearing surfaces. Has anyone else had this problem? I happened to have another filter which I checked pretty throughly and it did not have any so I used it. Makes me wonder if I have missed any in the past though.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
What brand of oil filter? Ya know they are not all created equal. I use either the Motorcraft FL1995, the K&N HP6001 or the new ones put out by Oil Guard. I realize you have a Super Duty and mine is of the older generation, but using a cheap oil filter is penny wise and pound foolish.

RenoF250

Reaction score
I would not put anything cheap on my truck. This was one of the Oilguard filters, I ordered some with my bypass elements to check them out. After examining it very closely I am 90% sure it is the same as a Mobil 1 filter, I can see no difference other than the paint color. They both even have a U stamped on the threaded plate. I would think they would clean those plates after they thread them but apparently not.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Yeiks...I have a bunch of the OilGuard oil filters...better go check them myself. Thanks for the heads up. Why don't you complain to their customer service dept? They may offer you some for free. BTW, I have an OilGuard oil bypass filter and swear by it.

:yell: Hey Mike...can I say the swear word in a tech forum? :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hheynow
:yell: Hey Mike...can I say the swear word in a tech forum? :D

You just did;p ;p

But on to the filters in question,

Reno,

I have never seen one with a thread hanging like you described. I am with Richard here though ( I know, just shoot me now) and I would definetly take it back to the supplier and voice concerns. I would be willing to bet you get a free filter or two out of the deal. Quality control should have caught that, BUT...... mistakes do happen and its only fair to let the manufacturer try to rectify the situation.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hheynow
:shoot: :shoot: :shoot: ( I know, just shoot me now) :D Feel better Mike? LOL

Could you make that shot a double?;)

RenoF250

Reaction score
Originally posted by 95_stroker
You just did;p ;p

But on to the filters in question,

Reno,

I have never seen one with a thread hanging like you described. I am with Richard here though ( I know, just shoot me now) and I would definetly take it back to the supplier and voice concerns. I would be willing to bet you get a free filter or two out of the deal. Quality control should have caught that, BUT...... mistakes do happen and its only fair to let the manufacturer try to rectify the situation.

I had planned on letting Oilguard know. I was goingt o send them pictures of the metal but when I went back out to look at it they were gone, I don't remeber if I got rid of them or the maybe the wifey did it for me. I am not too worried about getting another filter but I will be keeping an eye on all brands of filters I install in the future.

treefidy

Reaction score
yea maybe YOU should complain and then when the send you some new ones 'for free" we can change my oil, VAJJ

RenoF250

Reaction score
Well treefidy came up and changed his oil with a Napa oil filter and the threads were spotless. No oily junk on my finger either. I would say they clean those plates after they are threaded, as a result I will be using Napa from now on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online