Oil Cooler's Done!

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the new thread but after todays "task" I think I deserve it.
Well let me just say, I'm covered in black from hands to shoulders and that's even after power washing the area last night. My back is KILLING me and I still need to put the coolant back in tomorrow (I've had it for tonight).
Unfortunately I was not able to get away with not lifting the engine for the reinstall, and the reason...there is no way in hell (my) rear header would slip over the new o-rings up in position even if I used ****-lube!. My original o-rings were rock hard and cracked. I did remove the cooler with the engine down but for the reinstall I felt it best to install the cooler assembled so up went the engine...and boy was that fun. ;Really
What took a loooong time to do was EVERYTHING, did I mention I have a bad back? Also, the OE gaskets were welded to the headers, it took forever just to make sure everything was surgical clean as this is how I work.
All in all the job took all day, every bit of it and I still need to put the coolant back in.
Honestly, with the pain my back is in now I would have gladly paid the $350.00 for someone to do the job. Because the money saved is going to muscle relaxers and a Chiropractor.
I am 100% positive the cooler will not leak as I spent a lot of time making sure all surfaces were spotless. The inside of my headers and bundle were impressively clean almost like new...guess the frequent oil & coolant changes over 20 years time actually meant something.
Well there ya have it...I thank everyone on this great Forum for all their valuable advise and I used a little bit from everyone. With out it I doubt I would have even considered doing the job.
PS if the Truck was on a lift...much easier at least for me vs scampering around the ground like a hurt dog.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Congrats! :cheers: I know it can be a pain in the *** LOL ....and back working on the cold concrete.
:dunno where the hang up could have come from during re-install tho cookoo

I'll spare you and not tell you how much time I do them :D

like Mel suggested,save your good coolant and do the initial start with just water....it won't hurt anything.

That is behind you now ;Sweet and hopefully they will never have to be touched again for a long time!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you on getting it done. As long as its really clean on the headers and you got the new orings to "pop" together you can be fairly well assured of a good seal. What type of coolanta re you using. Now's not a bad time for ELC if you are so inclined. However in as good of condition as it was might be best to just stick with whatever it is you were doing since there is some thought that the organic acid in ELC can eat those orings. I'm running it anyways. Good luck,
JD

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it done buddy.

You will look back on this in a few years and not remember the back pain only the glory of finishing it yourself....

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Glad to hear all went well! ;Sweet It is sweet to hear it run after that job! I got mine turned around to day, good oil pressure not leaks that I can see. Now all I have to do is get my radiator from the repair shop.:thumbsup:

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
a lift is always a useful tool. a garage is nice, too. i unfortunetly did mine on the gravel.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback...
No oil in coolant or coolant in oil...zero leaks from the work performed, bone dry.
Now wish I would have put a fresh coat of paint on the bundle...oh well...out it comes :rotflmao :idiot: cookoo

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll spill the beans.....;p
45 mins. Geo has lotz of practice getting into tight places:D
It took 45 minutes to drain the coolant...lol
It took me 45 minutes just to make sure everything was spotless/clean before re assembly.
Due to lower back pain I did take a few breathers, F'ing back!

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the oil cooler anyway?

sorry i am new to this - just got my truck monday - and i don't even know where the oil cooler is and why it is so hard to replace?? on my 6.2 van the oil cooler is in front of the radiator just like a transmission cooler that uses air to cool it down, no problem to deal with.
i assume this is some kind of heat exchanger that uses coolant to cool it down?
thanks,
paul

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat as GREASE FIRE. New to idi's. I did however get a good look at it today and yesterday... was swapping out a bad tranny. MAHCIRE, awesome you have a lift, my lift was at the shops I worked at back in early 90's... my tranny was on the ground with me my floor jack and the daughter... Id love to get another lift. HAMMER DOWN about paying the $350, I was thinking the same these past 2 days swapping out that heavy @$$ tranny. Ive wrenched my own cars for ever, but I'm thinking that working on this heavy truck is a bit much on the major things. But as ARGVE said, I will look back in a few weeks / months and be happy I saved the $$$ and did it myself.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on the driver side and it's an water to oil cooler.

so what's the thing on the passengers side where the coolant goes from the heater core into the engine? does it just go right back in to the engine or is there something else going on? i was kind of surprised to see that because on my 6.2 the coolant goes from the heater core to the radiator.

thanks,
paul

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
On some trucks (I think it was the ones built in Canada) the water flow on the passenger side goes like this...

Passengers head to heater core with a bypass to the radiator.

Heater core to water pump.

On the Enterprise I removed the bypass line to the bottom of the radiator during my cooling issues phase - didn't help - didn't hurt either....

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the best reasons to do your own work is for me anyways....on the rare occasion I have taken my car or truck to a shop, my IDI has never seen a shop since I've owned it. I have about 50% of the time been unhappy with the quality of their work. While there are some great shops and great mechanics out there it sucks finding them.

What I wouldn't give for a lift, or a garage. I do have a bottle jack though......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent