Oil Cooler

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much time is involved in pulling an oil cooler and replacing the o-rings? Assuming everything goes well. Does the engine need to be lifted up? Or can it be removed by pulling the exhaust manifold and power steering pump?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
either the engine needs lifted on the dr side, or pullin the manifold works.
the ps bracket can stay put, but I pull it out just for the room

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you can wait till Monday I'll let you know cause I'm fixing to do the repair too. I'm moving the PS cause my gear box is leaking I'm not pulling the manifold I'm just going to fight it out.;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
anybody know the Ford part numbers for the O-rings? they look really big? I got mine from Ford and it was only $26 they give me a work related discount!;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right....they are big. 2 purple ones, two green ones and a gasket for ech header. I hate to tell you, but you just aren't getting it out without pulling the manifold or jacking the motor WAY up. That's no matter how hard you wrestle it, how much you cuss it out...whatever.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right....they are big. 2 purple ones, two green ones and a gasket for ech header. I hate to tell you, but you just aren't getting it out without pulling the manifold or jacking the motor WAY up. That's no matter how hard you wrestle it, how much you cuss it out...whatever.

I'm still so not looking forward to doing this job...:rolleyes:

PS* local Ford dealer quoted me $80 smakers for the 4 o-rings and 2 gaskets.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I'm still so not looking forward to doing this job...:rolleyes:

PS* local Ford dealer quoted me $80 smakers for the 4 o-rings and 2 gaskets.

I got Felpro at Advanced for $4, and then the O-rings were $26 he said it would have been $36? I get a discount cause I work for the town!:thumbsup:

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
it'll take a couple hours. i would lift the engine or pull the manifold. i followed advise from others on here and popped the cooler apart prior to removal. it was a hassel putting it back together but still better than fighting an old rusted exhaust pipe. i tried lifting the engine first but even with the motor mount completely freed i couldn't get it to roll over. my biggest struggle with re-installing it was power. i about had a hernia putting the cooler together due to my lack of size.

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
a 2x4 and plenty of extensions for your sockets and you should be good.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get really good at it and no beers are involved, 45 mins. from start to finish.
I don't lift the motor. the rear header is unbolted and the the fron header is left bolted on. gently pry out the cooler and rear header and change out the seals and clean off the gasket from the rear header. Lube liberally the new seals and gently convince the cooler and headers to go back together. This is a messy job and doing it this way you will get messier but the job gets done quicker;Sweet If you really have a bug up your ass to remove the front header, you can do so after the cooler and rear is removed.

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
it helps if when prying to twist the rear header. helps break the orings loose. but also may cause the rear to pop loose first.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
If you get really good at it and no beers are involved, 45 mins. from start to finish.
I don't lift the motor. the rear header is unbolted and the the fron header is left bolted on. gently pry out the cooler and rear header and change out the seals and clean off the gasket from the rear header. Lube liberally the new seals and gently convince the cooler and headers to go back together. This is a messy job and doing it this way you will get messier but the job gets done quicker;Sweet If you really have a bug up your ass to remove the front header, you can do so after the cooler and rear is removed.

on mine the front is leaking so does that mean it will break loose easier? I will be changing the radiator so coolant will be drained but will i still need to drain and change the oil?

mahcire

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
on mine the front is leaking so does that mean it will break loose easier? I will be changing the radiator so coolant will be drained but will i still need to drain and change the oil?

you can do it without changing the oil, but you will loose some that's in the cooler and filter. i did it without changing all the oil only because i didn't have a lot on the oil change. cover the ports while the cooler is off though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online