Officially Back

pafixitman

Reaction score
Well... after 4 years I am officially back. If any of you follow D and L Auto Sales on FB you may have seen Darrin post a teaser about a 1989 F250 that he was detailing for the lot. I "accidently" :sly shared that post with Erica. She posted interested and I assumed I had the green light! After a few phone calls, texts and emails I am the new owner of a 1989 F250 RCLB XLT Lariat 2WD in lovely "old man" two tone brown with the added benefit of surface rust patina. Dog Catcher dropped a IDIT less turbo into it sometime in the past. It has the Banks trans-command, exhaust and gauges along with a Gear Vendor.

Not the truck configuration we were looking for so it will see minor household chores and become a "toy" err money pit umm collectable oh you all know what I mean! Plan is to get it east later this month and in the spring get the surface rust off and paint the top. I have a green light for a turbo after the rust is handled. Erica thinks trucks should have blue ovals and whistle.;Sweet

Since all of this is useless without this...

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 84

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice score Joe! Looks really straight and clean.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent Joe! Glad to see you back in the area, and back in an IDI!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome back. Fine looking rig too. Sure reminds me of Barneys rig from the way back machine. If Ron dropped an engine in this then you know it was done right..:thumbsup::thumbsup:;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 89... is that a C6 then or E4DOA? Not sure what the trans command does. Pretty out of touch on slush boxes.

pafixitman

Reaction score
E4OD. The GV unit is not divorced, so that is hanging on the tail. I have never used a GV so this should be interesting! :dunno

As for the trans command... From Bank's web site
Banks TransCommand, an automatic transmission management computer that overlays the stock EEC control of hydraulic line pressure. The TransCommand also monitors the throttle position and vehicle speed to sense vehicle load, progressively increasing line pressure above that signaled by the EEC up to the maximum Ford specification of 190 PSI. Pressure is never increased beyond the Ford spec or beyond the capacity of the transmission pump. This protects the pump and the transmission seals.

Essentially, the TransCommand accelerates the rate at which line pressure is increased. For example, at idle, in neutral or in gear, the TransCommand has no affect on the line pressure. However, when the EEC commands increased pressure, the TransCommand automatically increases that pressure by a calibrated percentage. The more the EEC increases the pressure, the more the TransCommand will add pressure until maximum pressure is attained. At increased pressure, clutch pack "slip time" is decreased. Light throttle shifts remain smooth and firm, while full-throttle or heavily loaded shifts are solid and decisive. The line pressure is always proportional to the load to avoid any harsh or jarring shifts. Interestingly, when the "slip time" is decreased, the vehicle also accelerates faster, which is a side benefit of the TransCommand.

Paint is still first on the list. 2nd is most likely the bench seat. Turbo will probably happen with a complete fuel overhaul so that will be relatively expensive.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe 1988 was the last year for the C6 or maybe that was the first year for the E4OD. I know my 89 was the E4OD trans. The Banks trans command was the best thing for that trans too. They really helped the shifting. Might want to check what the throttle positioning switch voltage is set for too. I prefer an idle voltage on the center green wire to be 1.2 volts. I get a firmer shift. you can set the engine warmed up idle voltage anywhere between .96 to 1.2 volts... Key onn engine off. If the tps has around 75,000 miles on it then its time to replace it. Not a very bad job either. Just 2 screws and one wire plug. Still a nice truck. I like the color too. hope you repaint it the same color. Darrin does a nice job too selling these rigs. I remember that black dually crewcab he sold a few years ago. Recall some ungodly low miles on it. Never run in snow or rain. Same original tires, brakes and most other parts. True museum piece...

pafixitman

Reaction score
Gary, for the most part color will be the same. laserjock has offered use of his make shift booth and equipment. Since it is a lariat it has the strip running up the pillar and causing a color break at the drip rails and around the rear window. Undecided if everything above the belt line gets the darker color or if I keep it as close to factory as I can.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
BIG JOE! Fantastic man! Glad to hear it!

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome back!! ;Sweet

Once you're in the Brotherhood of Oil Burners, you're never really out, are you? ;)

By the way, thank you for posting the description of how the TransCommand works. I've never dealt with an E4DOA truck, so I never really knew what the TransCommand's purpose was. You learn something new every day ;Sweet

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Good to see you back, so when are you converting it to crew cab to match LOL

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should fly Brian out and make it a 6 door with a 2 foot bed. LOL

Forum statistics