Off Brand Turbos?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been spending way too much time on ebay and...
I stumbled upon a company that is making turbos for a too-good-to-be-true price and was wondering if any of you have any knowledge of these turbos?
An example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T04E-T3-T4-...III-/190627430922?hash=item2c6247c20a&vxp=mtr
I know that this is only the turbo but I have a friend who does custom exhaust and he would do all the piping for me but my main concern is if the boost will be too much for my 93 7.3 idi that has never heard of a turbo... Thanks in advanced guys I couldn't find any threads on this so hopefully this will be mutually beneficial!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Chinesium. It may last, it may not. Usually they don't. The problem with turbo's is that if something goes wrong, they can feed the engine with a lot of oil, causing a run away.

At best, I would only use it to mock up a custom fab job. I wouldn't actually use it. If you are dead set on using one, figure out a way to incorporate a throttle plate of sorts.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May be made in China, assembled in USA, or not.. Worth a call to the seller, who looks to be in CA.....

It is likely that most turbos on the road today are made in China, with all the outsourcing of parts for the "world market" that's being done.

Child slave labor can make good parts now? I guess.

Might be worth a try, if it fails, it will only puke a crap load of metal into the pistons and eat the engine from the inside, right? With the run away from oil ingestion, it will only be bad for a few seconds...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only a few seconds right? haha i wont take my chances and ill pick up this ats i scored for 400!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are too small oh=f exhaust housing, compressor wheel is too small and also has lead balls in the end to create "center of moment " balance. Means the casting is poop. I buy them and use them on the vw stuff with a garrett or known comp wheel, also the exhaust wheels are very heavy, mass of the center is way to big. The ones Ive tossed on my friends honda in his sand rail have held up well. but I did change the comp wheel.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a reason they're cheap.... is the couple hundred bucks in savings worth the risk? Certainly not to me.

Manufacturing a reliable turbo is very demanding from a metallurgy and precision machining standpoint - Good quality control is important, and it's going to be very easy to make something that's a piece of junk yet looks good. So while many things are made in China, there's a difference between made in china with good QA and made with backyard slave labor in the foundry.

And as mentioned, when it blows up chances are good of getting bits of turbo in places where they don't fit well....