OEM Plastic front tank?

46Gunz

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been here reading all this great knowledge, you all have been providing, for several months now. It's has been really helpful and it's the best place on the internet for anyone seeking real world expertise when dealing with these truck's. Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone.

So, the problem started with the rear fuel tank leaking on my 1991 F-250 4X4, allowing me the opportunity to upgrade to the larger 38 gal tank. In reading all the suggestion's, saying its better to remove the bed, this is what i did. I noticed the front tank was plastic. It's roughly 47" long by 14" wide and it has a plastic locking ring on the sending unit. I don't recall reading anywhere that this was stock, on this truck, and I was expecting it to be a metal tank. Is this OEM or aftermarket? Is this the 23 gal tank found on later model's?
I am considering changing out the sending, on the front tank only, because of the corrosion on it. While removing the rear fuel tank quick connect's, one of the steel sending unit line's started leaking due to corrosion and thinning of the metal. I am still looking around for a front tank sending unit and have noticed it's not as easily found.

While I have everything apart, I am planning on taking care of the rusty frame and truck bed underside. The previous owner used this as a plow truck and had the truck under coated a few times. Needle gun works great removing the leftover under coating and rust.

Any info and/or suggestion's will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

Attachments

• ford fuel tank.jpg
    ford fuel tank.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 7

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That front plastic tank was stock on some trucks, good luck finding a sending unit as this tank wasn’t very common so the aftermarket probably doesn’t make it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Here are a couple of leads on the sending units. You should probably call live to discuss your specifics.

Also hit up member IDIBRONCO via the e-mail button at the top left, he has been doing fuel tanks and lots of research.

His post on the fuel tanks

46Gunz

Reaction score
Thanks, the pictures are helpful. I noticed the steel lines coming out of your sending unit are not the same as mine. This might be good news, possibly more than one type of sending out there that will work in these tanks.

46Gunz

Reaction score
Thanks Big Bart,

I have been watching IDIBRONCO's thread, very helpful.

I did talk to MTS Company today but they said, because these tanks are not as common, they didn't have anything for them. I will try the trexautoparts.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe these guys have what you need?

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Also keep in mind the need is simple. You need a fuel line out and a return line in. As I recall some folks have been able to buy a tank sensor/fuel pump combo for a gasser. Then they removed the fuel pump, and extended the line to the bottom of the tank. On top you are left with a return line in and a fuel line out, a connector for the guage, and a connector for the fuel pump. (Which you will not use.) So if you strike out you can roll that way. May be if hard to find, you just leave it be for now and wait till you need to address. Versus making a problem you will struggle to solve.

46Gunz

Reaction score
Big Bart,
Good point, I was just think "don't touch it."

I just called trexautoparts, very helpful people there. He basically said they have nothing right now but if I sent him my old one and wanted to wait 4-6 months, there is a good chance they can start manufacturing and selling them.

Thanks Old Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also hit up member IDIBRONCO via the e-mail button at the top left, he has been doing fuel tanks and lots of research.

Thanks. This is overly generous though. I actually didn't do any research. I just bought what I thought I needed and went for it (I tend to do thing this way these days). I actually bought everything that I needed to do the install. The transfer pump install will be coming soon, but for now, it's on hold.

I have been watching IDIBRONCO's thread, very helpful.
I'm glad to hear that this has helped. I wanted to make this thread since I had seen several people want to do this, but weren't sure about it.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the tank and sender in my truck currently, the other tank is my brothers that he put in a gas truck, we took a gas sending unit and just straightened the lines till it touched the bottom.

46Gunz

Reaction score
IDIBronoc,

I like seeing how different people solve similar problems and then applying the same solution (or a slightly modified version) to the problem I am dealing with. Keep up the good work.

Ifrythings,

Thanks for the picture. I was thinking since I will be modifying the rear tank sending unit to fit the larger tank size why not do the same for the front tank, if it comes to that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
IDIBronoc,

I like seeing how different people solve similar problems and then applying the same solution (or a slightly modified version) to the problem I am dealing with. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. To quote a line from one of my all time favorite movies, "There is no spoon!" It's a good description of how I like to do things.