Odyssey/Die Hard Platinum batteries

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these batteries and what is your experience with them?. Today I went to Sears to have them check my batteries due to slow cranking and if I have to crank more than twice the batteries would get to slow to turn the truck over to start. These were die hard gold batteries made by Johnson controls. The original set I bought in 2004 and in 2007 I had them replaced under warranty.

Today when they tested each battery individually they tested good I seen the result myself because I was standing their watching the guy and the load test machine. When they got done testing them I told them about the slow cranking and asked them to replace them under warranty but to upgrade to the die hard platinum and I would pay the difference, the guy said he would have to talk to the manager and when he came back he said they would do it. So now did I make the right choice. The die hard gold's had a CCA of 750 amps and the die hard platinum has a CCA of 930 amps.

Another question is since they are wired to each other parallel does that mean the CCA is doubled and is the reserve capacity doubled as well?. I'm thinking that they are but don't know for sure.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cant not comment as to the performance of the odyssey batteries I cant comment on their manufacturing quality. These batteries use very thin sheets of pure ****** lead and are of VERY high quality. I would run two of them if I had the money. Enersys is the manufacture of them and they are made here in Warrensburg, MO. This same company also manufactures batteries for the new US nuclear subs. They should treat you very well.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cant not comment as to the performance of the odyssey batteries I cant comment on their manufacturing quality. These batteries use very thin sheets of pure ****** lead and are of VERY high quality. I would run two of them if I had the money. Enersys is the manufacture of them and they are made here in Warrensburg, MO. This same company also manufactures batteries for the new US nuclear subs. They should treat you very well.

Is that the only batt that they make for our trucks? Or are there others by another name? Only a sears catalog store here.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
They are good batteries as Chris mentioned.

From my understanding the Die Hard Platinum is a bit cheaper price wise than the Odyssey even though they are the exact same.

Just be aware they are picky about re charging so follow the manufacturers instructions.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased one Odessey 2150 battery in 2004 to power my truck, still starting my truck everyday 7 years later.
Removed the two batteries under the hood and mounted one Odessey under the bed.

Javier

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
when i first got my 96 psd i had, it had 2 die hard gold batteries. they were both bad and both only a year old. autozone would not warranty them because i did not have a receipt.(dont blame them I wasnt the original buyer) I'm not sure what kind of abuse the batteries had before i got them, but neither would hold a charge or load test.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My F250 had a couple of Die Hard Golds in it when I bought it a year and a half ago. The PO told me they were at least six years old, and while they still worked, they'd probably be needing to be replaced in the near future.
After running WMO through the fuel system and attempting to cold-start on it (I hadn't read up enough on OilBurners yet), I ran the old Die Hards dead. Twice. :eek: Needless to say, after charging them up the second time, they didn't have much cranking power. I pondered buying the Platinums to replace them with, read that they're manufactured by Odyssey and are supposed to be very good batteries. However, I was able to get ahold of two group 31 CAT batteries at a a very reasonable price and that's what is currently residing under my hood. ;Sweet
I'd buy the Die Hard Golds again, as a matter of fact that's what I bought for my Nissan late last year.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Optima batteries, and if I could have afforded the Oddesy 2150 OH ya baby I would be all over it!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I too pondered grabbing one big Odyssey 2150 to power my truck, but as a few others on this forum brought up a very good point...if I ever had a problem on a trip, I would be SOL. Not saying that would ever happen, but it would be one hell of a spot to be in.

I ended up getting a new pair of NEverstart heavy duty batteries. The last set surprisingly lasted 6 years even after running them into the ground a couple times (bad glow plugs at the time). I also went as far as relocating my batteries to the passenger side as seen here:

You must be registered for see images attach

Works great so far! :)

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these batteries and what is your experience with them?. Today I went to Sears to have them check my batteries due to slow cranking and if I have to crank more than twice the batteries would get to slow to turn the truck over to start. These were die hard gold batteries made by Johnson controls. The original set I bought in 2004 and in 2007 I had them replaced under warranty.

Today when they tested each battery individually they tested good I seen the result myself because I was standing their watching the guy and the load test machine. When they got done testing them I told them about the slow cranking and asked them to replace them under warranty but to upgrade to the die hard platinum and I would pay the difference, the guy said he would have to talk to the manager and when he came back he said they would do it. So now did I make the right choice. The die hard gold's had a CCA of 750 amps and the die hard platinum has a CCA of 930 amps.

Another question is since they are wired to each other parallel does that mean the CCA is doubled and is the reserve capacity doubled as well?. I'm thinking that they are but don't know for sure.

I have the Odyessey's, but later found the Sears platinum had the identical specs for less $ -- just gray plastic instead of orange on top and made by Enersys. Both the CCA and the reserve cap is doubled with two batteries in parallel. These batteries are top quality in my opinion. I've even tested the AH reserve capacity, and it met their spec. I occasionally discharge the batteries fairly low (for a starting battery) and they've held up, and always started the engine afterward.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 99.5 PSD sat for over three weeks, daughter called me at 2:30AM, needed help, was 7F*. Those 2 Azone Gold Top batteries three yrs.old plus, Cycled GP's cranked no start, cycled GP's 2 more times, started. Now mind you a PSD has to crank pretty good to build the HPOP oil pressure to minimum of 300 PSI to start. Oil must have been like tar being that cold. Got those in all my trucks. Good batteries as far as I'm concerned. The 90 truck batteries are 5 yrs. old.