Odd CDL question.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Brickman said:
That is a federal thing. And its not only when you are driving a CMV. BAC limit is 0.04 PERIOD if your license says Commercial Drivers License.

That's what I've been told by my insurance agent & numerous State Trooper buddies.

Also, my CDL seems to pull some weight during traffic stops in the IDI. I've been cut more breaks after answering a few questions about what I do & how many miles I do blah,blah, blah. Now in the big truck, very few breaks at all. It not something to be taken lightly.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Hoss6.9 said:
and that's the way we were told to interpret it.

Yup, and that's the way ALOT of things are done. So, it's better to be safe not sorry!

Splash

Reaction score
Thanks everone for the advice, I think I will go for it once I have the time and money. I am not to worried about getting tickets, I drive safe and try to get my vehicles to were their equipment works. I was wanting to get the CDL because I am going to school for a construction engineering technology degree, were I would go into the workforce, hopefully, as a assistant super and I am wanting to own my own construction company. I would think with all the stuff I might have to tow I figure a CDL would be very useful. Sorry for the loooong post. And thanks again for the advice. :) :)

Ggg

Reaction score
The fee for license renewal is double what a regular one is, and if you have Haz Mat endorsement you are mandatory for written testing every time, and background checks. I have not had my physical card current in 10 years but no longer drive commercially so there is no need for it. I need to hold a CDL for work but it is not commercial driving, only municipal vehicle driving. I was just pulled over this month by a Sec. of State ofcr. and was not told anything about not having a current med card, I was driving my own personal class 7 truck. Moving violation fines are double too with a CDL. In IL the DUI limit is 0.04 no matter what you are driving as long as you have a CDL.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I let mine go about 12 years back when I quit using it. Saved me better than $50 a whack on renewal, plus I saved a bundle on my car insurance.
Another thing to consider is that if you get a commercial license, your personal vehicle insurance rates will go up. The insurance companies are scared that if you just happen to be driving a commercial vehicle, and get in a wreck, the lawyers will start chasing any money down the line, which would include suing you personally, which would fall on your car or blanket insurance policy .

-----Robert

Ggg

Reaction score
My auto ins. actually went down due to the CDL because they consider you a better driver or at least better trained driver. I can't remember how much I saved but it was not much at all.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Never heard about insurance going up? They never asked IF I had a CDL.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the insurance company runs your license abstract they can see what type(s) of licenses you have.

That said I have never heard of insurance changing one way or the other. Of course I've had a CDL since I was 19 so I don't have much reference for comparison.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
The DOT Med card deal is only if you drive outside of the state you are lisenced, with a CMV. (thats what I was informed of when I got my CDL 3 years ago)

My insurance has done nothing but gone down over the past few years for me.

MMeier

Reaction score
To keep your CDL, you must have the med card redone every 2 years. Most states say that on the back of the license under restrictions... federal law.

BamaSixGun

Will Work 4 Chrome
Reaction score
Never heard about insurance going up? They never asked IF I had a CDL.

insurance companies will charge you more to cover a driver who they consider to be more of a liability, because of their driving history. of which most go back 3 years.

the limit is about 2 tickets and maybe 1 accident, but more than that, and you may find your self baggin groceries at Wal-mart for awhile.

BamaSixGun

Will Work 4 Chrome
Reaction score
To keep your CDL, you must have the med card redone every 2 years. Most states say that on the back of the license under restrictions... federal law.

also, if there are issues such as HBP, the doctor that does the physical can hold your med. card to a one year renewal. then the next time you go back one year later, if all is lookin better, they can issue your med. card for another 2 years.

i have a driver that has gone thru this. the dr. even gave him a 6 month med. card, because of HBP and the fact that he is also a diabetic.

BamaSixGun

Will Work 4 Chrome
Reaction score
The DOT Med card deal is only if you drive outside of the state you are lisenced, with a CMV. (thats what I was informed of when I got my CDL 3 years ago)

My insurance has done nothing but gone down over the past few years for me.

even if you drive a "hot shot" type vehicle that has a GVWR of less than 26,000, that does not require a CDL, you still have to have a medical card to be able to drive, whether you are intrastate or interstate hauling.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Usually diabetes is a whole nother ball game when it comes to med card. Friend had to take special tests and often to keep his. Maybe that depends on the severity of diabetes? Don't want driver falling into coma while driving!

As for accidents......I just love those new commercials for Allstate. Accident "forgiveness". If you can make it 6 months without a pile up, your deductible goes down. Man, I'd hate to be in that group.......... I ain't say'n nothing about "getting" an accident cause you know what happens when you brag, but it's bad when they offer things like that to the general public.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online