Odd CDL question.

Splash

Reaction score
Hey I am kinda new to diesels but have always wanted to get my CDL. I have always loved big rigs, but I am not sure whether I would actually use the CDL. Do you think it is worth the time, money and effort to get a CDL if I don't use it right away or if at all? Thanks in advanced for any and all replies.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well it depends. If you teach yourself, instead of paying for driving school, it's not alot of money at all to invest. I don't know where you're from but in MD, it's $90.00 for your learner's permit & I think $20.00 to test for the actual license.

Time is really up to you to decide. If you have the time to read the CDL book & commit it to memory then walk around the truck & trailer practicing the Pre-trip stuff, I'd say go for it. Other than that you will need some time to practice for the coarse test & get some driving time on the road.

There are alot of truck driving jobs out there plus it's an easy step to take towards starting your own business if you ever decide you want to go that route. Even if you got a CDL & never used it, it's still a nice fallback plan in case something else in your life went hay wire. I would say it's worth the effort. Just my opinion though.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Well, like apex mentioned...it doesnt hurt to have it. But unless you can get some seat time/practice you'll probably never pass the road test. Granted it just common sense, but you still have to know how to drive it.

I took my CDL test on my own, read the book for a few months, got pretty confident, then took written. I waited about a month and took driving test. Now, I'd pulled my 40ft race trailer around for 7 yrs, and had my B model Mack for about 9 months playing with it. I rented a truck(from the test station) and passed the test pretty easily. The rental truck was a little 4600 International with synchro'd 5 spd...real easy to drive with 40ft flat bed.

Not all test places have rentals, if you can't get your hands on a truck then you'll be out of luck. Ryder won't rent a big truck to a non CDL driver, so that's out.

Good luck.

stroke_smoke

Reaction score
check you community colleges. the one here has a truck driving academy. don't know cost but it's pretty popular cuz theres a UPS yard, DHL yard and R&L is headqutered here so they get some good buisness from those three

Jerry

Dunce
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to have a yearly fisical and the alcohol level for DUI is half of what it is for a regular license. ;Really

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Jerry said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to have a yearly fisical and the alcohol level for DUI is half of what it is for a regular license. ;Really

The DOT physical is dependant on your physical condition, good shape & low blood pressure every two years. Any medical conditions or high BP, it's yearly. I just had mine done Friday. I have no medical conditions & the tech used the wrong cuff to take my BP. I commented on how high it was & told her what it usually runs. When the doc came in to check me over & fill out the card, he told me he could only certifiy me for 1 year do to my BP. I made them re-take it....with the right cuff & it was normal. He wrote me a new card for 2 yrs.

Yes the DUI limit is about half with a CDL. Also, (at least with a Maryland CDL) 2 tickets for reckless driving of any kind will get your CDL suspended & possibily revoked.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Maybe it is a company thing, but all our drivers are annual physical. Period.

Splash

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys for all the replies. I am starting to think that it might not hurt to go and get my CDL, hell I might even want to do that as a full time job. I have a community college that has a CDL course were you learn from a book first, then get practice in a parking lot, third you get short distance "routes", and finally you are set up with a team driver. Cost, I don't know I would have to find that out. But thanks again for all the replies and helpful information.

Brickman

Reaction score
Its my understanding you do not have to have a physical to hold a CDL. BUT............if you start driving a commercial vehicle you better have one.

If Splash gets a CDL now, and don't use it for two or three years the CDL is not going to be revoked if he doesn't have a physical and is driving his personal vehicles.

WD40

Reaction score
CDL

Splash, just want you to know that some states jack up the price for a moving violation just because you have a CDL. So keep that in mind when driving though small towns, out on back roads. :rolleyes:

jalewis

Reaction score
In VA, the DUI limit is only half of the normal one when you are driving a commercial vehicle. It's the same as normal when driving a personal vehicle.

Brickman

Reaction score
jalewis said:
In VA, the DUI limit is only half of the normal one when you are driving a commercial vehicle. It's the same as normal when driving a personal vehicle.

That is a federal thing. And its not only when you are driving a CMV. BAC limit is 0.04 PERIOD if your license says Commercial Drivers License.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
From my understanding "IF" you let your physical card expire...you're license expires. Basically not legal to drive a comm. vehicle unless your card is up to date. They don't come take your license, but it's not any good unless your physical card is up to date.....Don't get caught without it for the most part.

Don't quote me, but from what I've read that's how it goes.

Yes, your BAL is much loweR(as mentioned), your chance of getting ticket might be higher(or might be given a better break) with a CDL. Depends on the cop...so don't drive like a maniac. Plus if you get lots of citations, you'll apt to loose the CDL too. Have to go thru the WHOLE thing all over again.

It's not to be taken lightly....though I'd bet alot do.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Freightrain said:
From my understanding "IF" you let your physical card expire...you're license expires. Basically not legal to drive a comm. vehicle unless your card is up to date. They don't come take your license, but it's not any good unless your physical card is up to date.....Don't get caught without it for the most part.

I think yall are saying the same thing in a different way, kinda like a pilots license, you got the pilots lisence for life, but you gotta keep your physicals up and have a minimum of 3 takeoffs and landings, I believe within the last 3 months.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
CDL!

Hey Guys!
In IN. it is .04 for a comm. vehicle w/ a CDL and it's .08 in a private vehicle whether you hold a CDL or not! I was a deputy here for 3 1/2 yrs. and that's the way we were told to interpret it. Have also been an O/O for 15 yrs. now.
Hoss.... ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7