OD off light??

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought this truck 300 miles ago and Every time I slow down my OD off light comes on. The trannywas rebuilt 5284 miles ago and the truck only has 157K so I don't suspect anything major. What is up?

NOTE: The shift lever is a little loose and shaky. I have also noticed that the tach drops to zero anytime I let off the go pedal. . . reads true otherwise(3:73s and 1600rpm@60mph)

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Tach(Rpm) sensor is bad. It's located on the driverside next to the oil filler tube. It has two wires coming out of a 1" hex. Unplug, unscrew, go to Ford(only place available)ask for part #E5TZ-17B384-A, bed over grab ankles...

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the quick response. If I ignore it will it really hurt anything?

I meen the tach, not your response

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
When the OD light blinks, that is the signal that means the transmission is in "limp home mode". Shifts become really firm. I drove mine like that for a few months, with no side effects, but I can't believe it's any good for the transmission. You may try cleaning the sensor and looking for bare wires where they exit the hex. Some have done that with good results.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a huge favor now. Spend the 50-75 bux on the sensor and 5 mins changing it out or spend $2600 on yet another trans in a short while. These trans need clean inputs or they will self destruct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online