OBS Dually Rear Drums: Any brand preferences?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to notice a little bit of pulsation in my rear brakes. I've verified it's the rears as applying the parking brake at slow speeds results in similar pulsations. I've got a little taller rear tires than stock now and it may be that I'm noticing it more now due to the taller tire.

Just wondering if anybody has any preferences on brands regarding replacement drums. It's been a while since I worked on anything with drums, but I seem to remember some pretty inferior junk out there a while back, which I'd like to avoid.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Try DFC, Bosch, A/C Delco, and Motorcraft.

Do the shoes too. If your hardware is rusty or damaged replace it.

If your wheel cylinders have more than 80,000 miles on them, I would replace them.

If you have never replaced the rubber brake line to the rear axle add that to the list too.

Send pics and let us know how it goes.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just circling back around to the dually rear drum brakes I haven't touched yet :) In looking at replacement drums, it appears that almost all of them are drilled for multiple bolt patterns. Any good or bad with this style versus the dedicated 8 x 6.5" factory variety? I am generally a replace versus turn guy, but I also question the quality of today's castings versus 1995, which makes me lean towards turning my original drums. That is if I have enough meat to turn the originals.....

You must be registered for see images

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just circling back around to the dually rear drum brakes I haven't touched yet :) In looking at replacement drums, it appears that almost all of them are drilled for multiple bolt patterns. Any good or bad with this style versus the dedicated 8 x 6.5" factory variety? I am generally a replace versus turn guy, but I also question the quality of today's castings versus 1995, which makes me lean towards turning my original drums. That is if I have enough meat to turn the originals.....

You must be registered for see images

From what I've heard talking to some shops, your best bet is buying new ones and getting them turned..... What a crock!

I'd try motorcraft myself. They're expensive enough buying once to invest in the good ones first in my opinion. Of course, who knows if they're any better than the generic ones....

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The extra holes are for the dowel pin.

I use drums to the bitter end. Wire wheel out the rust. Fresh shoes - let them do the 'work'.

I know most of today's castings suck, but I'm not going to chance paying lots and still get crap.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The extra holes are for the dowel pin.
Thanks for the feedback. My assumed factory drums only have one hole for the dowel pin, like the single extra hole in the picture below.

You must be registered for see images attach

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Like you I am a replace them guy. I don’t have a dually but have put Bosch and DFC in F-250’s without issue. Motorcraft is always a safe bet.

Some shops have always turned new rotors and drums to make them true. Most of us never have an issue if we don’t. But many have an issue from not turning used ones or even from turning used rotors and drums after putting on new pads or shoes.

My take is they get thinner from wear, then thinner yet from turning, and the heat of the néw brakes combined with 25-30% less steel to absorb the heat warps them.

If your wheel cylinders have more than 80,000 miles I suggest you replace them while you have it apart.

Last edited:

kbenz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whatever junk oreilys carries. I use my brothers account and get his discount. (Depending on what it is)